Max Practical Spped of Wi-Fi G

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
What would be the maximum real-life speed of a 'G' class Wi-Fi router? Especially when there's a 2.4 GHz cordless phone also in play?

My internet is 8 mbps, and I actually get 8 mbps wirelessly (DSL router connected to 'G' class Wi-Fi). I''m looking into options to get 20 mbps speed with unlimited bandwidth; this would be with fiber, of course, and would plug directly into the WAN port of the G Router-Wi-Fi. BTW, the router is a Buffalo model I bought in the US in 2006 that's still doing fine.

Is there a somwhere that lists real-life speeds of 'N', 'ac' class Wi-Fi as well?

Thanks!

Stereodude

Not really a
Speed of the internet over WiFi or just LAN traffic? Either way, I don't expect you can get more than about half. If you have any "B" devices on the WLAN you're not even going to get that.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
All my references to speed are internet speeds over Wi-Fi. All devices are G or better. No 'B'. There is no LAN traffic other than occasionally to a printer.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, the answer depends on how many WiFi clients are using the same access point at the same time, what each one is actually doing, other nearby access points on the same or a partially overlapping channel, other 2.4gHz interference, etc.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A best-case rule of thumb is that your maximum throughput will be about half the rated maximum claimed by the spec. 1/3 the speed is probably more realistic and, again, it depends on the number of active clients and sessions, the transceiver and antenna arrangements and even more environmental factors like the construction materials used in your building and what other radio sources might exist on 2.4GHz or harmonics thereof.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Clocker & Merc.

I am more concerned about what comes out of the wi-fi rather than what the clients are receiving (more clients = less for each).

Assuming only one client, 54 mbps / 3 = 18 mbps. Since I get the full 8 mbps of my internet connection on the wireless, I'm inclined to think interference from the 2.4GHz cordless phone is minimal because they are using different channels. My desktop is almost line-of-sight; there's only one 50° bend the signal has to take through an open doorway to connect. So I guess it's worth exploring an alternate ISP who's offering a higher speed for less money and that too without a cap on bandwidth usage. Only unknown is reliability. I've asked a few people to share their experience with this ISP.

Thanks.