Maxtor Reduces Warranty to 1 Year

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I noticed this on the SR front page. Imagine that..one of the few times I go there and there is news...

Starting October 1st, the warranty on Maxtor's standard ATA drives will be one year in length, down from the three years that Maxtor and many competitors currently offer on their desktop units

C

Handruin

Administrator
That's a bunch of crap... 1 friggin year. I sure hope they reduce the cost of their drive to $30-$50. Now because of this, I'm sure other companies will follow the band-wagon.

Just like the damn cellphone companies who up their night time minute starting time to 9:00PM... Who the hell want 4000 minutes of night time talk when everyone is asleep :?: :?: :?:

</end pissoffedness>

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Could you people please stop the bad news announcements for tonight? I already have my dose, thanks.

One thing sure, I'll boycot Maxtor for the upcoming months, no matter how good their D780X are for such a poor decision.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Now everyone else is going to follow them and go to a one year warranty. Even if there is a big price drop associated with it, why would you want any of these drives? I was looking foward to them for some large storage drives, but not anymore.

Steve

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Quantum was down to one year well before they were swallowed by Maxtor, in Australia at least.

That didn't seem to affect other manufacturers' policy then, although obviously Maxtor today has a much bigger slice of the market.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
One assumes that it was the relative success of Quantum's low-budget offering that is responsible for Maxtor's decision. It wasn't just in Australia, as I recall, but worldwide, and it applied only to the ultra-cheapo 4400 RPM drives - the Fireball LCT, which was the successor to the infamous Bigfoot.

To me it say that Maxtor have decided on the direction that they are going to take over the next few years: low-budget bottom of the market. This fills me with concern for them - not for me, as I would be very surprised to see all the other manfacturers follow suit. Indeed, if any of them have really reliable product (as Samsung most certainly do) I expect that the Maxtor competitors will be delighted that Maxtor have just shot themselves in the foot and handed over a huge marketing advantage. Remember, if you have a really reliable product, your RMA costs are low, and it costs you little to have that 3-year advantage.

But is the market direction thing that concerns me most. This is a giant signal that Maxtor are going after the bottom end of the market, that they are planning to compete with Seagate, Samsung, Western Digital et al on price and ship lower-standard products than they have done in recent years.

And we all remember what happened the last time Maxtor cut their prices and their quality and went after the low end of the market, don't we. They went broke.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That is not good news. Maxtor drives have been my mainstay for several years now. Although I can't complain about Maxtor reliability to date, I don't think I can, in good faith, continue to offer Maxtor drives in new builds. A one year warranty on what is often one of the most expensive components in a PC is simply unconscionable.

I guess I'll continue to buy Maxtor drives until October, then switch to WD or Samsung.

:(

Vlad The Impaler

Learning Storage Performance
Oh dear! No more Maxtors for my company. I would, however like to have some of the drugs that they must be on to come up with something like this one though.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Ridiculous!

I don't really mind the 1 year warranty as such since thats more or less how long I keep most drives, but it might indicate their quality/reliability will go down too and that is a no-no... apart from the fact that no one will want to buy a drive off me once I'm done with it without warranty (unless it costs $0.99)

Handruin

Administrator
I wouldn't mind the warrenty length either, as long as the drive dropped significantly in price. I really think the drives should be $40-$50 range with such a small warranty. This way I can spend double that, and buy protection in RAID.

This is crap, I can't believe they are going to drop their warrenty. Does this mean their SCSI drives are cut to 1 year also????? If so they are REALLY insane unless they drop the price.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
grrr....another reason to go SCSI.

I won't buy a drive with a 1 year warranty. If anybody from Maxtor is listening, please tell whoever that I disapprove. I expect the 3 year warranty to be put back in place by morning. DO YOU HEAR ME MAXTOR?!