Microsoft Targeting MPs in Ad

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
What's an 'MP'? Mounted Police? Multi Processor? Mary Poppins?

I thought Journalism 101 taught that one should spell out something that will be referred to by an acronym, follow it by the acronym surrounded by parens or commas, and then freely use the acronym going forward. Example: "In recent news, International Business Machines (IBM) declared a small profit on server sales. IBM predicts profits will grow in the next quarter."

That aside, anyone worthy of having budget control in IT knows the true cost of a platform is generally far more than just the purchase price of relevant hardware & applications. Implementation, support, maintenance, and administration are generally where most of the money goes. A lot of that is more closely related to staff talent and experience vs. vendor fees. Figure the 3 or 5 year Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) to get the true picture of what a system will cost. The TCO of a solution should be the main metric with regard to IT budgeting and is where the battle of open source software (OSS) vs. closed source should be fought. I'm sure that right now OSS will win on some fronts but lose on others. And that over time, the places where OSS can provide benefits will evolve.

See, that acronym thing isn't so hard.

fool

Learning Storage Performance
Member of Parliament.

and if the Australian MPs are anything like ours then they'll be utterly incapable of getting any computer system working on time and budget, or even working at all for that matter.