Microsoft using Linux, in a way...

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
...the cacheing system was used by the biggest and most well-known Web companies. "They would have a hard job avoiding Linux," he said.
He added that for such "close to the edge" cacheing, "there's either Linux, Linux, or Linux." As far as he was aware Microsoft markets no such technology...

The reason is clearly stated however...

And AFAIK there are still many nitches of the market MS hasn't placed its tentacles (yet)... ie. Antivirus solutions, Flash-like content, stand-alone applications for DVD playing and CD-R/DVD-R burning, etc etc.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
Microsoft bought an antivirus company a few months ago.
:roll:
According to Paul Thurrott:
The next major desktop Windows release, code-named Longhorn, is due in 2005 and will include Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing (Palladium) architectural changes, as well as a new 3D video-driven user interface, integrated anti-virus features, and a SQL Server-based file system called Windows Future Storage (WinFS).

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Mercutio said:

PW "And AFAIK there are still many nitches of the market MS hasn't placed its tentacles (yet)... ie. Antivirus solutions, Flash-like content, stand-alone applications for DVD playing and CD-R/DVD-R burning, etc etc."

So the next windows will have AV, WMP takes care of all multimedia content, SQL integrated etc, etc...It all started with Netscape and browsers, didn't it? So soon you won't need anything but MS. Nice plan...

And the only reason Word etc haven't bee integrated into Windows is money.

honold

Storage is cool
i think this article is just silly

linux also uses windows if you're counting any level of connection. cisco uses ascent. etc.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I was at a Microsoft workshop (Securing Enterprise Platforms) this past week. At one point, on the floor in front of the mailroom was a box with a certain piece of fruit on it.

- Fushigi

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
The JoJo said:
Mercutio said:

PW "And AFAIK there are still many nitches of the market MS hasn't placed its tentacles (yet)... ie. Antivirus solutions, Flash-like content, stand-alone applications for DVD playing and CD-R/DVD-R burning, etc etc."

So the next windows will have AV, WMP takes care of all multimedia content, SQL integrated etc, etc...It all started with Netscape and browsers, didn't it? So soon you won't need anything but MS. Nice plan...

And the only reason Word etc haven't bee integrated into Windows is money.

Yes, and Palladium will make sure that You don't install any other suppliers programs (or things like Cas' XPCacheFilter), unless the supplier first approves the app with M$ and gives M$ heaps of moola. Even the driver certification takes ages. If You have ever downloaded dets from nVidia.com You know what I mean.

After Longhorn is released, all programs will have to be approved in order to use them "safely" (if Palladium will ever be a reality outside M$). Say that takes up to half a year. During that time the only apps You can use are the M$ ones. Talk about total annihilation...

I hope that Palladium is something that will never happen.

Cheers,

Jan

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I think there's too much junk to tell what Pal. will really be like. I really feel there needs to be something done about all the software pirating, and DRM sounds like a good idea for both the consumer and producer as long as it is implemented in a fair way to both parties.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
blakerwry said:
I think there's too much junk to tell what Pal. will really be like. I really feel there needs to be something done about all the software pirating, and DRM sounds like a good idea for both the consumer and producer as long as it is implemented in a fair way to both parties.

Exaggeration will help in getting people's attention more easily...

If DRM will help lower the pricing down, that's a big plus. What I wouldn't like: Can't copy an audio CD for my car (if I had one) or for my portable, make Mp3s and use it in computer/Mp3 player (or car) without "connecting to verify You have original copy". Or paying $1 to get rights to copy one copy for own use.

Jan

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I think we are living in a golden age of piracy now; I wouldn't expect it to continue unabated. First, Napster is taken down, then software activation appears in Office and Windows... it's only a matter of time until DRM becomes a part of our lives.

I'm sure that the warez people will do their thing and have workarounds in response in the usual cat and mouse game... if you want total freedom, you will still be able to get it occasionally.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I guess the only way to stop Pal. is to stop pirating (and thus there is no need for Pal.).

But with Piracy being so easy, so many people simply being unwilling to spend money on worthwhile software, and so many software producers charging outrageous prices I don't see the honor system working any time soon...