Microsoft's new os"Longhorn"

its.fubar

Learning Storage Performance
does anyone know anything about this new OS

it is supposed to have a new filing system Far superior to NTFS.

I believe there is a beater version out on the net does anybody know about it and where I can find a copy?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have everything Microsoft makes on or around my desk (mostly "on", but sometimes a pile tips over) at work. LongHorn isn't available to the public yet.

Longhorn is supposed to offer a SQL-Server-backed relational filesystem. It'll be a very interesting thing to see, but it's also something that represents a grave concern, since every major product launch at MS at this point represents another chance to add rights-management features that I doubt techies will be happy with.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
An early alpha version of Longhorn was leaked earlier this week, so that's why there is so much talk about it these days. The new file system is rumored to be called WinFS. I don't know much about it.

I read that there isn't supposed to appear any server version of Longhorn before 2005 or 2006. In the meanwhile, WinFS is rumored to be slowly ported to Windoz .Nut Server 2003 before Longhorn Server arrives. I'm not one in the know though, so that's why I used supposed and rumored.

Gary should be, like usual, the one with the most accurate information about the upcoming Microsoft OS.

its.fubar

Thank you guys, if the filing system is as good as they say then I think it will be extremely interesting for a Microsoft product ?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
I have everything Microsoft makes on or around my desk (mostly "on", but sometimes a pile tips over) at work. LongHorn isn't available to the public yet.

Longhorn is supposed to offer a SQL-Server-backed relational filesystem. It'll be a very interesting thing to see, but it's also something that represents a grave concern, since every major product launch at MS at this point represents another chance to add rights-management features that I doubt techies will be happy with.

Indeed.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8136

MS turns on DRM in Orrifice2003.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
those bastards...

I just know people are going to be stupid and deny me access from features that are perfectly legitamate uses of the documents i use....

And of course you can't open DRM documents unless you have DRM setup on your computer...

I don't mind authors controlling the flow of information... but it can easily be abused... when it gets to the point where I can't backup a CD or a Game (already there) I'm just gonna stop buying the shit. And I hope, if it gets to that point, there wil be court cases against the misuse of DRM... because of it's violation of fair-use laws and personal property laws.

Copyright and patent laws exist to to protect an author's or inventor's work for a limited amount of time for the purpose of economic benefit. (this is what the US congress wrote anyway) That's all well and good, but when we start getting into End-User License agreements that completely restrict how and why and what you can do with something it's totally rediculous... The use of DRM in MS office seems like just the beginning... but when DRM spreads to everything else, that is when we'll have a serious problem.... When EULA can say whatever they want and will be totally enforcable the end user gets screwed over.

Platform

its.fubar said:
does anyone know anything about this new OS

it is supposed to have a new filing system Far superior to NTFS.

I believe there is a beater version out on the net does anybody know about it and where I can find a copy?

It will use an SQL database store as the file system. Using such data structures for disc file systems has been done in the past on some expensive dedicated proprietary mainframe and mini-computer database servers.

"Longhorn" is the codename of the replacement for the full-featured Windows XP Professional. The replacement for Windows XP Home (dumbed-down version of XP Pro) will be codenamed "Aggie."

Platform

Mercutio said:
... and I suppose the even simpler Media Center version will be called "Oakie".

BahdumDUM-ching!

No, the Media Center / Web TV version is codenamed "Sooner."

And, it'll be certified 100% mobile home safe.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yes, but will it be Tornado proof?

Blakerwry, I've never found a game I couldn't crack with clonyXXL and CloneCD.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i couldnt get one of the Sims expansion packs to copy right... i think i could run it using a CD emulator.. but couldn't back it up to a regular CD...

I obviously searched message boards to no resolution... I used cloneyXXL with cloneCD (set to english canadian)... I dont remember what type of protection was used.. maybe SafeDisk...