MiFi 2200 mini-review.

ddrueding

Fixture
These are one of the new hot toys, so a figure I'll do a bit of a write-up.

I'm in the field testing MiFi 2200s from Sprint and Verizon. Both units appear identical, but the Sprint unit is much easier to get started with; no software to install and no password on the wifi, it takes you to a captive portal for first-time setup allowing password and security configuration. Activation is automatic.

The Verizon unit needs to be connected to your machine via USB first, where it is mounted as a storage device where the installation software is located. The software needs to be installed, detect your device, and then the activation wizard run. I've had a 66% success rate activating the Verizon cards, and a 33% success rate getting them to actually pass internet traffic.

The Sprint card is showing an EvDO connection with full signal, but only 0.8Mb/s down and 0.15Mb/s up with a ping of 240ms, though it seems snappier than that. The two Verizon cards I brought on this trip aren't working, so I can't compare yet.

Battery life so far seems to be about 4 hours of constant use. They will auto power-down after 5 minutes by default, but this can be disabled in either card through the web interface.

I'll have a half-dozen of these for at least a month, if anyone has any other questions.

ddrueding

Fixture
Sorry. It is a box about the size of a dozen credit cards stacked on top of each other. It connects to a cellular network and broadcasts as a WiFi hotspot. That way any devices you (or your friends) have in the area can get on-line. It can be password protected, which is a good idea because you only get 5GB/mo for your $60/mo. Just sitting here screwing around for the last hour has burned about 12MB. I can only imagine what would happen if I was youtubing or using pandora...

ddrueding

Fixture
Pandora seems to be about 3MB for each song, all transferred as soon as the song starts. So if you don't like the song and choose to skip it, you've already downloaded the whole thing.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't get all that, but obviously it is nothing I would have use for. :eek: Can it beam data to that large antenna mast you all were climbing?

ddrueding

Fixture
Simple enough, it is a small box that can get you on the internet any place there is cell reception.

It doesn't use my antenna system, it is for the times people need to work in the areas not covered by the antenna system.

ddrueding

Fixture
The only specific use I can think of for you would be to combine it with an Eye-fi. It also has built-in GPS, so your pictures could be uploaded and geotagged as you shoot. That would burn through 5GB very quickly...

LunarMist

You will be old and gray by the time the eye-fi files download.

LunarMist

Simple enough, it is a small box that can get you on the internet any place there is cell reception.

It doesn't use my antenna system, it is for the times people need to work in the areas not covered by the antenna system.

Why not use the type of card that goes in the Cardbus or PCI Express slot? Is it simply the sharing ferature for localized groups?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The price for 5GB seems pretty ridiculous. I wonder how much data I can transfer with my Blackberry before I hit the "unlimited" ceiling.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The price for 5GB seems pretty ridiculous. I wonder how much data I can transfer with my Blackberry before I hit the "unlimited" ceiling.

If you were on a unlimited Sprint data plan prior to 2008, it's "unlimited" within reason. If it's from 2008 or after on Sprint, Verizon or AT&T it's "unlimited" with a stern warning that you might be charged past 5GB.

People on older Sprint data plans are grandfathered on their old agreements.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If you were on a unlimited Sprint data plan prior to 2008, it's "unlimited" within reason. If it's from 2008 or after on Sprint, Verizon or AT&T it's "unlimited" with a stern warning that you might be charged past 5GB.

People on older Sprint data plans are grandfathered on their old agreements.

I've been on Sprint since 2001, but didn't have a data plan until 2009.

ddrueding

Fixture
The new plans are 5GB/mo and 5 cents/MB after.

The old plans were "unlimited", though they reserve the right to cancel your account if you go crazy.

ddrueding

Fixture
We've had PCMCIA and USB solutions up til now, and they keep breaking. Having something sticking out the side of a laptop in the field is just asking for it.

ddrueding

Fixture
I now have (literally) a stack of 30 of these sitting on my desk. At $60/mo each, I can practically see the dollar bills pouring into them.

ddrueding

Fixture
Biggest issue so far. When they are stacked, the foot of one aligns perfectly with the power-button of the next. Once you go over thirty high, the weight alone is enough to power the bottom one on. With just a pair, attempting to turn on the top one does them both.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Biggest issue so far. When they are stacked, the foot of one aligns perfectly with the power-button of the next. Once you go over thirty high, the weight alone is enough to power the bottom one on. With just a pair, attempting to turn on the top one does them both.

I'm not sure if that is a feature or a bug. It sounds like a bug being converted into a feature by you. I suppose that It's simply a question of whether it was intentional or not when it was designed.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'm reasonably sure the anticipated usage model does not include RAIH (Redundant Array of Independent Hotspots).