Military Protest in the Philippines

paugie

Storage is cool
Hi, Some soldiers and officers who staged a protest 4 years ago walked out of their trial and walked to a 5 star hotel in the Philippines premier district shortly before noon today.

They are calling on the rest of the military to withdraw support from President Arroyo and on the public to flock to the area to show support for their protest against the government.

I believe in this protest. Maybe later tonight I will be going to the area. It is around 10 kilometers from where I am at. Hopefully this standoff will be kept up. And maybe later more people will come to support this uprising and protest our government's corruption, willful killing of journalists and social workers.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Little by little, in fits and starts, the Phillipines has crept towards a more open, fair-minded style of government over recent decades. Aided by men and women with paitence and goodwill, may that process continue.

Good luck, Paugie, show your support, and stay safe.

Tony

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Was Corazon Aquino not the great reformer she was portrayed to be my US media? I was under the impression that the Philippines had a fairly modern, Western-type democracy, albeit one plagued with occasional military juntas. Has the corruption simply returned, or did it never really go away?

It's only been 20 years since Marcos was evicted. In 20 years, have you all moved from having widely-lauded populist reform to another round of public uprisings?

ddrueding

Fixture
Do be careful, Paugie. I've found myself in the middle of a few riots in Asia (Thailand, Tibet, etc), and they have a way of sneaking up on you. Be sure you keep a clear path away from the batons and riot shields. I appreciate you wanting to take a stand and show your support, but try not to get arrested or beaten ;)

paugie

Storage is cool
I'm ok. Just lost my internet for yesterday afternoon and was busy elsewhere the whole day today.

I wasn't able to get to the place before the government was able to shut the whole thing down. Come to think of it, I was listening to those men (rebels) over the TV and they had a good cause (to my mind) but they're actions weren't making sense. That's what turned me off a bit. What I meant was, if they wanted people to come to their aid, why did they pick a 5-star hotel. It's like holing up in an inaccessible island and inviting people over.

Anyway, to answer your question, Merc. Corazon Aquino couldn't keep her relatives from exploiting her position and replaced Marcos' cronies as self-enrichers.

The military and the police who were coddled for 24 years by Marcos wouldn't give up their power and perks. All succeeding Presidents and wannabees had to continue to kowtow to the military and police for fear of being toppled. This has continued to breed corruption in government as most sectors have exploited the fact that nobody would go after them since the law and order people were busy enriching themselves.

Protestors and journalists have been disappearing or have been killed too often (allegedly by the government) and these have been escalating almost every year. Our economic indicators have been getting better for the last 2 years. But more and more people are living below the poverty line.

Anyway, lots of Filipinos hope that we shall have a legitimately elected President come 2010, when Arroyo has to step down.