Mini Wireless keyboard

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
No bluetooths makes my Server 2008 machine happy. And it can sit on my nightstand. I went ahead and bought one.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I like it, where was that last year when I needed it?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
cool find Doug. I look forward to Sam's review.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Does that device need drivers for the keyboard only?

Mercutio

I got this E-mail today. It's in bad Chinglish, and I'm not sure now if I'm getting a keyboard or not, or how much they're going to charge me.

Dear friend,

How have you been these days, And thanks for your order.

I'm sorry here to inform you that the item: C709B"2.4G Wireless Mini Keyboard with Touchpad -- Black C709B " is in tight supply recently .

And you could see that we have risen the price of this item on our web for this problem.

So your order might be shipped by 26th. March. At that time,we would have 1000pcs in stock.

And another thing also is important for you that If you have ordered the item black ,there is difference with the one might be sent to you on the color which is whole black. Here is the pic for you :
2.4G Wireless Mini Keyboard with Touchpad -- Black C709B

ANd if you ordered the white one, we would send this to you :pls check it.
2.4G Wireless Mini Keyboard with Touchpad -- White C709W

Pls be informed about this, ANd hope your understandding.

Thanks

Best Regards,

Tancy

Mercutio

I got my mini wireless keyboard over the weekend. It works as advertised to a range of somewhere between 15 and 20 feet. It really is as small as it looks, about the size of a cell phone with a QWERTY keyboard plus a little for the touchpad. The device is lightweight but does not feel particularly delicate.

There were no drivers needed to make it work with XP or 7, and it does work with Server 2008.

It does not have a removable battery but it charges through USB. I'm not sure how long a charge lasts. At least four days.

It loses connection relatively quickly BUT turning the keyboard off and back on reconnects it instantly. There's no "boot time" on the keyboard; it goes on and off like a flashlight.

My apartment is bathed in 2.4GHz signals, so losing connection might be a function of the sheer number of nearby wireless access points and cordless phones. In any case, reconnecting is painless, quite unlike reconnecting bluetooth devices.

The keyboard has volume controls and a CTRL-ALT-DEL button, both of which I appreciate. Actual typing is a bit of a pain, but the keyboard is just fine for a quick search on Google or to type in a password. Someone who actually likes and uses cell phone keyboards might have a different opinion.

All in all, I think this little guy was worth the money I spent.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
RESURECTION!

Merc, are you still happy with this? It seems like just what I'm looking for and they have several models. I'm not looking to type up email; just type in search words. The longest thing I might type in would be my wireless key. :) What is the drawback with bluetooth?
http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-Entertai...5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358799391&sr=1-5

Then again, it would be nice to have an IR trnsmittter built in to cut down on the number of remotes I have to keep around.
http://www.amazon.com/iPazzPort-2-4GHz-Wireless-Keyboard-Remote/dp/B006OW1J1M/ref=pd_sim_e_9

Really I would be fine with using my iphone for mouse control and text input of my laptop.
I'm going to give the Logitech touch mouse iphone software a try along with a few others but I'd still like to know your thoughts.

Mercutio

I don't like the way Windows deals with Bluetooth because losing connection really, really sucks. Basically I don't think Bluetooth keyboards and mice should be the only ones on a computer whereas I'm completely fine with those little... Favi-things (aka Rii aka Chinese OEM of the week).

I've bought probably a dozen of them for different people. They're fine inside a range of about 20 feet but probably not 30; bluetooth has a little bit of a range advantage. The only person I know who isn't terribly fond of one is using it in an absolutely cavernous living room where it's easy for them to wander out of range.

I keep meaning to snag a Lenovo remote but so far I've not managed to actually do it. I'm told that the second generation models are really quite nice.

Since XBMC's built-in web (and DLNA, for what it's worth) server fully supports browser-based control and there's a reasonably robust Android app for it, I can actually manage my media center quite well with just a tablet or smartphone at this point.

I've also experimented with using straight-up VNC for control. That also works, but the resolution switch between my TVs and my portable devices more annoying than it was worth.

Stereodude

Not really a
I have been using the first gen Lenovo one for over a year now. It works fine for my HTPC which is mostly mouse driven.

Stereodude

Not really a
Time to revisit this thread...

My Lenovo N5902 w/ backlight (the 2nd gen model) met it's timely demise yesterday after pissing me off for the last time. It never could work reliably within a 10' range (with basically direct line of sight to the receiver). You would have to move it around to find a spot where it would not miss key presses and more recently the backlight got flaky turning on several seconds after you would press a key or the backlight key. The older N5901 I still have is slightly better in terms of working not missing key presses, but lacks a backlight which I very much got used to.

Right now I'm thinking to try a refurb Logitech K830. I realize it's a different type of keyboard / mouse combo. Significantly bigger than the N5902 / N5901, but I'm open to trying it. I had a Logitech BT PS3 keyboard / mouse unit before that I replaced with the N5901. No backlight & the touchpad was small but I don't remember connection problems (maybe I've blocked them from my memory). I'm also open to trying another mini keyboard mouse like the Lenovo also if I can find a good one with backlight. Many of them seem like the mouse is an afterthought giving you a super tiny touchpad to work with. Or you get a gyroscopic air mouse which seems like a bad idea for PC navigation without a big 10' interface (which I don't have on my HTPC). Maybe I will order up a bunch of the cheap Chinese units like the Rii and test them.

So what are you all using as keyboards / mice for HTPCs / media player appliances these days?

Mercutio

I've tried a bunch of them, probably 8 or 10 different mini-keyboard/trackpad/air mouse things and none of them are perfect. Range is an issue for everything, including Bluetooth. Nothing seems to work reliably past maybe 4m, though I did finally use a USB hub and a pair of extra-long cables to ensure I at least won't have any problems in my living room. I settled on Logitech K400s for driving PCs and web-based (i.e. Android app) remotes once my media center software is running.

I particularly advise you to avoid the temptation of an air mouse style remote. They're awful.

Stereodude

Not really a
I particularly advise you to avoid the temptation of an air mouse style remote. They're awful.
I was planning to steer clear of those. From my searching on Amazon I think I will try these three mini keyboards with touchpads. They should all be backlit & not be BT.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGMG3SK/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z81U3YY/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090BTY8Y/

I will also get the Logitech K830, but from eBay since I have a pile of eBay bucks to use.

ddrueding

Fixture
Logitech makes a wireless keyboard with a touchpad on the same board. I've used those before. Mostly I just bring a good mouse that can track on the fabric.

Stereodude

Not really a
Logitech makes a wireless keyboard with a touchpad on the same board. I've used those before. Mostly I just bring a good mouse that can track on the fabric.
Yes, the K400/K400+, K830, K820, etc. I bought a refurb K830 today via eBay. AFAIK, that's the only one that's backlit.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't know the relationship between Rii and iPazzport but their products are very similar. I actually like the ipazzort you listed better than the Rii version I have. For me the top row is function keys instead of media keys. I'm interested how you like it. It is mostly ok, but click and drag is a pain. I received the k800 this week and it it's working well. I decided against the more expensive back lit version because I mainly needed a test bench kb/mouse but this give me the chance to try out the form factor on htpc as well.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Is it the same one you were using in 2010 at the top of the thread? :)

Same models I think. I replaced the mouse because my daughter dropped it a few too many times. I can't remember if I replaced the keyboard or not.

Stereodude

Not really a
The K830 came today. It's pretty nice. The reception is better than with either of the Lenovo units. The backlight is nice. It's reasonably small for a keyboard / "mouse" unit, but it's still a little large to sit with your remotes. I haven't gotten the other keyboards yet, so I'm not sure how they will compare.

Stereodude

Not really a
I received the 3 mini keyboards today. The Favi is the nicest feeling in terms of build quality / weight. They are all charging right now...

Stereodude

Not really a
So all three of the mini wireless keyboard have their pros and cons.

The iPazzPort seems to have the best RF reception of the three. I didn't encounter any missed key presses or goofiness. However it has the worst placement of the mouse buttons. They're right by the touchpad so you can't hold it in your hands move the mouse and depress a button. You have to put it down and use fingers from both hands. Dragging and dropping is challenging as a result. It also won't recognize 4 simultaneous button presses. Some of the default keyboard shortcuts for madVR are CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+T, or CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+D. These don't work. The backlight is orange, not white like the other two. You can't even really 2 thumb type on it like you would a Blackberry because the touchpad being on the right side pushes your right hand out of place. No 2 finger scrolling on the touchpad. The arrow keys under the touchpad seems better than the location of them on the FAVI.

The FAVI has slightly worse RF reception than the iPazzPort. It missed one or two key presses in my testing, but otherwise worked fine. The backlight is white. The mouse buttons are on the opposite side from the touchpad so you can drag and drop with the mouse while holding it. It will recognize the 4 simultaneous button press sequences. Like the iPazzPort you can't even really 2 thumb type on it like you would a Blackberry because the touchpad being on the right side pushes your right hand out of place. No 2 finger scrolling on the touchpad.

The Rii has bad RF reception compared to the other two. It has an amber LED that will flash when it loses communication with the dongle, which is fairly frequent with my testing from the couch. It has a blue LED that stays on while the communication link is good even if you're not using it. Holding it and trying to type is better than the other two. You can two thumb type on it much easier than the other two. The 4 simultaneous button press sequences work on it. There are a few buttons that aren't backlit. The 8 buttons around the touchpad are the ones that aren't backlit. Drag and drop is easy too since it has more than one set of mouse buttons. You can two finger scroll on the touchpad on the Rii. The backlight is white.

None of the three mini keyboards default to having the backlight activated when it's turned on. After you turn it on you have to enable the backlight and then it will stay on while you're pressing buttons/keys or using the touchpad and a few seconds after. The backlight will turn on automatically with button presses after that (until you power cycle it).

I think I will keep using the K830 even if it is a little big compared to the typical remote...

Mercutio

One nice thing about the basic Rii is that, while it loses connection easily, it also reconnects instantly.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
SD, thanks for the reviews. It it's strange that there are so many option available and nobody can get it right. Even the basic Rii will light when a button is pushed from power off.