Minimum hardware requirements for Soldier of Fortune?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have a box sitting aside of me and his owner wants to play SoF on it, but can't. The computer is an Athlon 500MHz/FIC SD11/384MB PC100/ATI Rage128. I don't know this game at all. I think it's based on the aging Half-Life 3D engine, but I'm not sure.

CPU + motherboard + RAM + graphic card and PSU is too expensive. I would hate to change the graphic card without upgrading the CPU/motherboard since by the time he would upgrade the board + processor, a current low-end graphic card will be obsolete anyway.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Coug, what OS is the customer running? SOF was bundled with my aging GF2MX card and, IIRC, it didn't support W2K/XP. Could be wrong though.

CK

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
If a GF2MX is sufficient, go for an nForce or nForce2 mobo combo & just use the built-in graphics. They can always add a better graphics card later.

- Fushigi

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The original Soldier of fortune requires a pentium 200 with 40MB RAM and an OpenGL or Glide video card....

Here's what I've found for SoF II:

3D Accelerator Card (with 16 MB VRAM) with full OpenGL support; English version of Windows 98/Me/2000/XP Operating System; Pentium III 450 MHz or Athlon processor or faster; 128 MB or RAM; 1.3 GB of uncompressed free hard drive space (plus 300 MB for the Windows swap file); 100% DirectX 8.1compatible true 16 bit sound card and drivers; 8X-speed or higher CD-ROM drive; 100% DirectX 8.1 compatible mouse/keyboard and drivers; DirectX 8.1(included)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I'm thinking it's simply the vid card.. my ATi rage 2c got 4FPS in quake 1 openGL(a voodoo2 on the same comp gets ~100fps)... it was always a poor openGL performer.. but could easily put down 30fps in direct3D apps like shogun and mechwarrior....

your solution probably lies in a geforce2 MX or similar graphics card.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Rage Fury Pros are roughly equivalent to Voodoo3s (good enough for Quake3). Just saying "rage 128" isn't all that helpful. ATI did make about a billion different versions of that card.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
IIRC, there were ATI cards based on the first Rage 128 chipset (Magnum, Xpert2000 and cie - this is the kind I have here) and the higher clocked Rage 128 Pro, based on a thinner wiring process. There's no way the first gen Rage 128 can match a Voodoo3, but the Rage 128 Pro could.

Thank you all for the feedback, I'll see what I can do with this.