Mobile Athlon XP 2500+, anyone tried one?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've seen the above on my price lists for a few months already. They dissipate 45W and fit regular socket-462. I've decided to give one a shot (will use it on a DFI LanParty Infinity Ultra B that I got on reduced price). I hope I will be able to reach at least 2.3GHz with it. Kingston PC3700 Hyper-X RAM and a Thermaltake SilentBoost heatsink will be used too.

Anyone else has used the mobile Athlon XP version before and is willing to share his experience?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've bought several Mobile 1700s and 1800s. No mobile bartons yet, though. They run a lot cooler, like 3 or 4C with the same Speeze fan I always use. They probably have some impact on my power bill (not that I can tell) and performance is spot-on for the kind of CPUs they are.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
This is a great little processor. I cranked mine at 2.25GHz and left the vcore at a scant 1.5V. It took it without problem. BIOS tells me that the CPU temperature is around 38C, wow. And I've only applied the Arctic Silver Céramic compound a few hours ago, so it's not fully efficient yet. I hope I'll be able to reach 2.5GHz, although the current 2.25GHz is very acceptable.

I'm more than satisfied so far. :aok:

System specifications :
  • Athlon XP Mobile 2500+ @1.5V, running at 2.25GHz/166MHz FSB
    Thermaltake Silent Boost with Thermaltake fan ducting adapter
    DFI LanParty NFII Ultra B
    Kingston Hyper-X PC3700 512MB kit (2x256MB)
    Matrox G400 16MB AGP
    Antec SLK3700AMB
    Lite-On 8X DVD writer and bunch of SCSI drives.
Overall, the system is pretty quiet too.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Is there any performance difference between a Barton and a Barton Mobile (at the same clock speed)?

C

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't you sacrifice bus speed with these vs. a desktop 400 MHz processor? Or does that not really matter?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The mobile barton dissipate less heat, but I don't think it has any performance disadvantage compared to the regular Barton, at least judging from the time it takes to complete an FAH frame.

And since I can play with the multiplier on my motherboard, I don't mind the lower "by-default" front side bus frequency.