Mobile Rack

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a Supermicro mobile rack similar to this.
It came with connectors so each of the five hard drives could have a led come on whenever the drive was active. My motherboard only has one hard drive led connector. Does anyone have any idea how I could get all five leds to work, independently.

ddrueding

Fixture
On many of my RAID cards they have LED connectors per channel, but I have no idea how to make it work with the onboard stuff.

My only thought would be to write a custom bit of software that monitored for activity and sent it out the serial port header or something.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm using the motherboard RAID.

I'm looking into accessing pin 11 on the SATA power connector. That is supposed to be the 'activity' pin.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's a little freeware program called DiskMon that can be configured to show disk activity on a Windows machine. It might be what you're looking for, and it's the sort of thing that would go nicely on a tiny little LCD if you really needed it to be available all the time.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
There's a little freeware program called DiskMon that can be configured to show disk activity on a Windows machine. It might be what you're looking for, and it's the sort of thing that would go nicely on a tiny little LCD if you really needed it to be available all the time.

Cool! I'll look into it.