Model Rocketry with Video

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm thinking of getting back into this, loved it when I was a kid. Of course, I want to stick an HD video camera in it. When I was 10, the best I could do was an Estes kit with a roll of 110 film in it.

So the rocket part isn't difficult or expensive. What I'm looking for is the smallest/lightest reasonably priced (couple hundred $) 1080P camcorder. It needs to have onboard power and storage capable of about 10 minutes recording.

The best I have found from a reputable merchant is the Mag Pix 1080p HD from ThinkGeek. This will in fact work, once I find out how much it weighs, but is bigger and heavier than it needs to be (no one will be watching the screen).

Thoughts? Links? Does anyone else here play with rockets?

ddrueding

Fixture
Interesting. My mother teaches at an elementary school nearby, and I used to do rocket demonstrations for them. I figured this would probably go that direction if it worked. My plan was to have the camera pointed straight out the side at the horizon, with the option of having a mirror mounted in a faring to redirect it straight down.

ddrueding

Fixture
When I was a kid, I built at least 30 rockets. The trick to likely recovery was to get the rocket back down as quickly as possible. Don't use an 18" parachute when a 12" will do, and use a streamer unless the decent rate will cause damage on impact. Of course, the worst crashes are when the ejection charge misfires and the rocket goes ballistic (remaining in rocket form for the decent as well).

The cheapest/simplest rockets used the ejection charge to jettison the spent motor out the back, letting the (now unbalanced) rocket come tumbling down...no moving parts!

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
When I was a kid, I built at least 30 rockets. The trick to likely recovery was to get the rocket back down as quickly as possible. Don't use an 18" parachute when a 12" will do, and use a streamer unless the decent rate will cause damage on impact. Of course, the worst crashes are when the ejection charge misfires and the rocket goes ballistic (remaining in rocket form for the decent as well).

The cheapest/simplest rockets used the ejection charge to jettison the spent motor out the back, letting the (now unbalanced) rocket come tumbling down...no moving parts!

...or, use a dry lake, like I used to do as a child (requires parents willing to drive u out to the remote location)...near Edwards AFB in the Mojave. 12" chute with hole in the middle, preferably silk, was what I used...those cheap thin plastic Estes chutes didn't last long.

Go visit some MR forums, should be able to find a suitable HD cam.

As I child, I got in on the 1st commercial performance engines...only they were 2 expensive for my allowance :D. IIRC $6ea for the few F52's that I bought. I fired off one on a bench test once, just so see that fascinating/pretty fuel exhaust pattern of diamonds, and blue flame? So wicked! Made the black powder engines seem like they were for kids, lol.

Damned Calif reg.s I couldn't get the F67, nore the 30lb/sec which would have allowed supersonic flight (though it's possible the F52's @25lb/sec takeoff thrust did achieve that...only did 2 flights IIRC). I think the parachute strap dislodged (glue did not stick to the cardboard tubing?), or maybe the chute failed to deploy, can't remember...but I think it shot up, and then disappeared :D. We had a dune buggy, and I think we found it down wind somewhere in the middle of the dry lake...damaged???

I only had the 1340 or Nike Ram (#3 Sept '72 pdf newsletter link bl), you needed to check balance with engine you were using and weight the front payload to adjust. Compared to the whimpy Estes A & C engines I was used to, these were like going from a Yugo to a top fuel dragster! Oh man, the sound of those enerjet engines was unreal, crackly awesomeness---not that whussy, 'high-pressure leak' sound, typical A-C black powder engines make; and then the rocket blasted off so fast, gained even more speed, and was nearly out of sight before your head could react.:diablo:

<^this is about where PC enforcer twit comes along and accuses me of being OT again, lol...the boy has 'issues' :p... Enerjet "insanely great" products-like Apple, Estes = M$ >

Check out the old Enerjet newsletters & catalogs, scroll down the page in link bl :

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/publications.htm

I so wanted the 3-cluster 2250 sounding rocket, and 1lb payload capacity...kit was only $22 back then---yeah, yeah, I know it's 3x as much as a flimsy cheap inferior product like a Winblows/Estes rocket, FAA approval needed for launch :p. (^#4 Jan 73 newsletter)

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica]Enerjet Special Edition Catalog #741[/FONT]
images of the E24 &F67 series, sm pix of the "Mach diamonds" exhaust trail<<<they had a big color image in the orig. 8x11.5 catalog- on 2pg of the "741" catalog ^link above.

Solid rocket pioneer Paavo John Rahkonen dies at age 79

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/3155/29/

^see comments section @bottom :p

The Enerjet Story
http://launchhistory.com/history/centuri/4-the-enerjet-story?showall=1

OK, now come the 'Enerjet fanboi' ad hominem attack. against me
...u want the truth, u can't handle the truth :D

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I remember building one of those 110 film rockets, I don't think we got too much out of it though. Keep us posted, I wouldn't mind picking this hobby up again.

ddrueding

Fixture
Very good info, Uda. Though I won't be doing F-class motors at all to start. Even if I could just get a D12 to send it up a couple hundred feet from a park in town, the footage would look pretty cool. Based on this altitude predictor, I have about 200g or payload to manage 250ft.

That sounds like a good starting point at least. As Steve Jurveston said, "a hobby that can scale."

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a shopping cart at Apogee for a 3" (75mm) diameter rocket with support for 24mm motors. RockSim 9 won't run on 7-x64 so I can't get the exact numbers at the moment. Looks like the rocket alone (no motors, no launch gear, no camera) will run about $100.

ddrueding

Fixture
The video camera arrived today. The good news is that it only weighs 3.3oz! The bad news is that the 1080P video quality is not excellent. The good news is that the 848x480@60FPS is really darn...decent. Better than the others I was looking at at least.

Finally got the RockSim software working on an XP VM, and with the updated camera weight, I've created a design capable of running a D15 up to about 200ft, E30 to 700ft, F39 to 1000ft and a G37 up to about 2300ft!