Moderators: call for nominations

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
We are, bit by bit, transitioning from our inital ad-hoc organisation to a longer-term, more organised and democratic form. To begin with, moderation of the forums was left in the hands of the Webmaster, and in fact, so far, there has been no need for moderation. We have been lucky insofar as no forum participant has stepped outside the boundaries of civilised discussion or tried to disrupt the place.

Sooner or later, however, it is inevitable that a disruption will occur, and it is only sensible to prepare for that in advance by appointing people to deal with it, and giving them some guidelines on which to act.

P5_133XL was originally given this resonsibility, and asked Santilli and Flagreen to help him develop a policy. When Mark had to withdraw because of family commitments, I asked Mercutio to step in and complete the task.

Mercutio put the proposed Storage Forum moderation policy to the Admin Team yesterday for approval, and he will (I assume) want to post about it here as soon as a couple of final details are tidied up.

Five moderators will be appointed by the Admin Team, each to serve an 18 month term, and the appointements wil be staggered, so that we have a balance between experience and new blood.

Why five moderators for a forum that, so far, has not needed any? Mainly to ensure that there is always someone around with the power to take action in case of a sudden spam attack, but also to ensure that there is no risk of a personality clash between a forum member and the moderator - and if you manage to seriously offend all five mods at the same time, then you probably ought to be censured!

While it is the Admin Team that is responsible for Storage Forum, all members are entitled to have their say in matters of this nature, which is why I am calling for nominations here, rather than in the private admin forum.

A moderator needs to be a reasonably frequent visitor here, needs to be fair-minded and commited to free speech, wise enough to know when it's best to just do nothing, but still strong enough to take action when it's needed.

There are two vacancies to fill at present: one with a notional start date of 1st January, the other to start on 1st April. I'll call for fresh nominations sometime in June to fill the third slot, and my successor will appoint the final two later in the year.

So that there is someone on the moderation team that "knows the ropes", the first appointment needs to be someone who has worked on the policy so far and is familiar with it: Flagreen, Santilli, P5_133XL, or Mercutio. (I don't think that P5 has time at present though - he will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.)

The second appointment can be anyone who is suited, be it another one of the guys listed above, one of the Admin Team, or a general member.

(PS: you might have noticed that I am listed as "moderator" of this Feedback forum - this is simply so that I can maintain the site FAQ. I am not a moderator as such, nor as Chairman should I be. It's just that it was the easiest way to tell phpBB to give me edit rights here in Feedback.)

Your nominations please gentlemen......

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tannin said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Buck, but I'm Chairman and should not be a moderator also. Perhaps after my term expires. (The same applies to Handruin, of course.)

Then let Tony be the moderator.
Second Appointment: MercutioBR

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The contrarian in me wants to say Tea, to make sure the Redhill sock-puppet collective never has any time for work in his shop or for playing Age of Empires again, but instead I think I'll nominate Flagreen, since he wants his badge and gun so much (maybe we can get Jason over here for a shootout).

:)

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mercutio said:
The contrarian in me wants to say Tea, to make sure the Redhill sock-puppet collective never has any time for work in his shop or for playing Age of Empires again, but instead I think I'll nominate Flagreen, since he wants his badge and gun so much (maybe we can get Jason over here for a shootout).

:)

Well a shootout would hardly be fair unless you gave me at least two 90MM anti-aircraft guns to match Jason's. Then again, I'm the spitting image of a young Clint Eastwood. No doubt Dirty Harry could take him.
How's this for a new signature -

You've got ask yourself just one question - "Do you feel lucky today?" Well Punk, do ya?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'll vote for old Green too. However, given his advanced age, shouldn't we make shorter terms? It would be sad to have one of our moderator bust during his term. ;-)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Now just a darn minute there! Who said anything about the right to carry firearms here? Sure, there are a few hangovers from the Wild West floating around the place and vomiting in the gutters, but there are more than a few of us from the civilised lands where carrying a firearm is considered declasse - indeed, it's only one step above wearing stripes and spots at the same time.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
CougTek said:
I'll vote for old Green too. However, given his advanced age, shouldn't we make shorter terms? It would be sad to have one of our moderator bust during his term. ;-)
Just be sure to bury me with my boots on so I can get into Cowboy heaven.