More AMD price cuts

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yay! I can officially cut WAY back on the number of PCs I own.

I'm going from 14 to eight, including two notebooks. X2s + gobs of RAM + VMware means I don't need half my computers any more.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Mercutio said:
Yay! I can officially cut WAY back on the number of PCs I own.

I'm going from 14 to eight, including two notebooks. X2s + gobs of RAM + VMware means I don't need half my computers any more.

My plans are similar -- Replace my aging XP 2500'sand 3.2GHz P4's with fewer dual cores with lots of ram and then use vmware with terminal services to eliminate the need for KVM's/mice/keyboards/video cards/monitors. The only real difference is that I have not decided upon Woodcrest; Conroe; Socket F Opterons; or X2's. My inclination is go Intel - Woodcrest.

If I had to do it now, it would be X2's but I can wait till all the options are readily avail and make a judgement call then: I suspect, that there will be at least one more signifigent price cut (20%+) from AMD.

It'll be fun to see if I can get totally headless motherboards: Will operate without keyboard, mouse, or video card.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
P5-133XL said:
It'll be fun to see if I can get totally headless motherboards: Will operate without keyboard, mouse, or video card.

????

I've been running totally headless computers with Intel motherboards for a few years now. I use VNC to 'monitor' them. Is there something I'm missing???

Bozo :joker:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Bozo said:
????

I've been running totally headless computers with Intel motherboards for a few years now. I use VNC to 'monitor' them. Is there something I'm missing???

Bozo :joker:

Only that most retail MB's won't operate headless without generating errors: One actually has to search to find error-free headless MB's.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Many can be configured to boot properly. You only need to plug a keyboard & monitor in the one time, and set the old "Halt on no errors" or some such. Most boards I've encountered have it buried in the BIOS somewhere.

ddrueding

Fixture
Tannin said:
Usually on the front page of the BIOS, actually. 386 boards used to do this. Outside of crap from the vomit box makers, I think everything does.

All the boards I use have it at the bottom of the front screen.