Mozilla crashes!

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Well, I finally managed to crash Mozilla 1.2a.

Useless bloody program.

It just lost the plot completely, got slower and slower and, eventually, refused to refresh my screen. In the end I had to close it with the task manager.

Mind you, I was asking rather a lot of it. Errr ... a very large lot, in fact. Indeed, to tell the truth, I've had it running continously for about a week or ten days without restarting it. And doing Google searches in the first window, and then clicking "open in new tab" on every entry that looked like it might be a possibility, until I ran out of tab space (which is quite a lot of them with my tiny-font skin and 1150 resolution). And clicking on six or eight more because after you close a few of the earlier tabs, you can get to the hidden ones.

Every now and then, I'd click "open in new window" instead, and then start filling that one up. And because I've been working on a few different things at once, and have the attention span of a five-year-old in a lolly shop, I'd leave all that open, maybe minimise it, maybe not, and start on some other topic. This has been going on for quite some time now. Days and days, in fact. And try as I might, I couldn't get it down to less than ... oh, I suppose 15 or 20 sessions, each with between 10 and 20 tabs open, which works out to, oh, maybe a mere few hundred simultaneous windows, complete with whatever crap the varous pages insist on loading. Plus the various other things the system was doing: folding, a dozen or so Opera sessions, email, half a dozen IE windows now and then, assorted other stuff.

And just now it finally, finally crashed.

I kid you not, gentlemen: Mozilla is the most stable browser in the Universe!

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin, man, you're demented :mrgrn:! Kill! Kill! Kill 'em browser beasts!

Seriously, how do you switch between tabs? Clicking vide de moose is too painful; I just prefer opening in a new vindow so I can Alt-Tab fast. I must confess, though, that I haven't spent too much time trying to learn all the features of the Mozilla beast.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The JoJo said:
Nice one Tony...:)
Thanks for the info. Curious though, have you done the same test to IE, Opera and Netscape?

In a word, no. In another word, yes. :wink: :(

I habitually have quite a lot of Opera windows open. (I don't tabbed-brower-window in Opera, but use seperate windows - habit, don't ask me why.) Opera crashes at infrequent intervals - maybe once every couple of days on average, and almost always when I have a lot of windows open, including plenty of Java crap. About 20 to 30 open at any one time is average, sometimes I double that. Right now, I have 25 Opera windows open, for example. This bugs me - sometimes I lose posts - but the great thing about Opera is that I don't lose all those pages I have open just to read (rather than post in) because when it restarts it asks you if you want to carry on where you left off. If you say "yes", it reloads all the pages you were visiting. This is great when you have stuff you want to cross-refference back to sometime in the next day or two but don't want to actually clutter up your bookmark list with. (Which is basically all the time, in my case.)

Internet Explorer is broadly similar. It crashes more gracefully than Opera, and more predicatably too, but can't recover as Opera does. With IE, it's pretty simple: every extra window takes you closer to the limit. After a while it slows down and soon you can't access the right-click menu: it simply runs out of RAM. Generally, you can switch IE windows until you find one that is still functional, save anything you want out of that one, and close it. Carry on like this for a while and you can exit gracefully and restart. It's a pain in the arse though.

Quicktime has interesting interactions with browsers. If you have been running Qraptime anywhere within an IE session at any time since you last restarted IE (even if you have closed that particular window) and then start Age of Empires (or, presumably, any other Dirext X game), IE crashes. Every time, without fail.

If you have been running Qraptime outside your browsers (i.e., as a stand-alone app) and then start AOE, then 50% of the time, Opera crashes, 25% of the time IE crashes, and the other 25% of the time everthing works just fine.

Netscape .... The last real Netscape in my view is 4.x. That behaves similar to IE and Opera, rather worse than either. The most recent Netscapes are so horrible, slow and ad-ridden that I never got past a brief tinker and the uninstall routine.

The long and the short of it is that to crash Moz, you have to use as many sessions as it generally takes to crash IE or Opera, and almost as many tabs within each session as it generally takes to crash IE or Opera, and keep that up day in and day out. Moilla is like an eel: you can catch it, cut its head off, skin it, gut it, and nail it to a tree overnight, and the damn thing is still trying to get away.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I know the effect you're talking about, but Moz DOES have its limits.
I can reliably crash mozilla by having around 70 tabs open, each tab having loaded a page with 10 or so 640x480 images (and I'll restain myself from saying where I go to do that). After about the 40th open tab, Moz stops being able to refresh the screen, which makes it much harder to navigate, but if I close some tabs or windows, it goes back to its usual, snappy self. If I keep going, though, eventually, it'll crap out completely.

The solution, however, is simple: Close Moz. Close the quickstart thing.
Restart Moz. Poof. Everything's back to normal.

When IE starts to go wonky, usually it's just gone. Opera NEEDS that "start in the same places" feature, from my experience. It just crashes too often otherwise.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Mubs, you can't offend Tannin. Trust me, I've been trying my hardest to offend him for several years, and have failed utterly. He's just too darn thick-skinned and, not to put too fine a point on it, not very bright.I mean, have you ever tried to offend a bowl of yeast?Like that.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
Tannin said:
I kid you not, gentlemen: Mozilla is the most stable browser in the Universe!

COUGH !!! And what have you been adding to yer tea lately?

Phoenix is the most stable browser in the universe and its only beta software!

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/releases.html

Just to clear things up: IE is a whale, Netscrape is a pig, Mozilla is a bow-wow browser, and Opera is... Richard Simmons on acid.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Mr. Farm (accented), you spelt Netscrape with an "e" instead of a "u" by mistake. Try to be a little more careful next time OK... :wink:

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
LiamC said:
Mr. Farm (accented), you spelt Netscrape with an "e" instead of a "u" by mistake. Try to be a little more careful next time OK... :wink:

Or maybe I just forgot to remove the "sc" :cooler:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Dïscfärm said:
Phoenix is the most stable browser in the universe and its only beta software!
Agreed. I have been using Phoenix instead of Mozilla since maybe November and I don't plan to come back. Acrobat Reader used to crash my system when I used it in combo with Moz, but it doesn't happen with Phoenix. BTW, I know Acrobat Reader is evil, but a computer resseller often doesn't have the choice but to use it (unless from a Linux box with KDE/Gnome and the ghost viewer that let you see .pdf files).