MP3 player rant

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't think a used device will go down well. And the learning curve for her and me (to support) on a generic device for music (android phone) may be too burdensome at this point.

The Android phones that have really good music circuitry are in the Ipod range or higher price-wise anyway. The Cowon Z2 would have made sense if it was priced significantly lower than the Ipod, but it isn't.

Thanks all, I don't want to waste more you your time on this.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Someone had posted that Android phones will not let you unlock the screen if they can not activate. Probably only under specific circumstances but I don't know enough to gamble.

Neither of my spare Evos has ever been activated as a phone. I carry one as a camera and use the other as a music player and GPS. The screens are most definitely unlocked.

They are not necessarily CHEAP, but I do really like Grace Audio's internet radios. They're very easy to set up and manage, so they work very well for wife/mom/other non-technical person.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Got an Ipod Touch 5th Gen + wall charger + protective case + screen protector today for the kid. She's happy, but still can't use it; her system's not set up after the move. This has been the roughest move we've made, with the movers excelling at fraud every step of the way. The store guy said the Ipod needs to be "activated" with an internet connection. What kind of shit is this when an MP3 player needs to be activated?

Stereodude

Not really a
So I picked up my 2nd Apple product yesterday. A near mint silver 4gB iPod mini from 2005 from a nice friendly local gentleman selling it on Craigslist. $25 for it, 2 silicon cases, a still new in the shrinkwrap dock, the original box, the Apple USB cable, and an Apple USB wall wart charger.

It will soon have 64gB (or more) of flash memory in it. I'm a little undecided on that front. CF cards give better battery life, but are more expensive per gB than using a SDXC card + CF to SDXC adapter.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
It will soon have 64gB (or more) of flash memory in it. I'm a little undecided on that front. CF cards give better battery life, but are more expensive per gB than using a SDXC card + CF to SDXC adapter.

Nice find.

Unless the price delta is significant I'd go for better battery life. So you'll rip out the 4GB HDD and replace with CF card then?

Stereodude

Not really a
Unless the price delta is significant I'd go for better battery life. So you'll rip out the 4GB HDD and replace with CF card then?
The cheapest reputable 64gB CF card (Kingston Ultimate 266x) is $50. The cheapest reputable 128gB CF is $140 (Lexar 800x). On the other side a 256gB PNY Elite SDXC is $90. The CF to SDXC adapter is $18. At 64gB I'd go CF. I don't really know the hit in battery life for the mini. I've only seen data on the Classic, which admittedly is a different model.

Supposedly the mini does not spin down the microdrive like the Classic does its HDD so the CF to SDXC adapter is always powered whereas the CF card will idle itself making the delta worse.