Multifunction Laser Printer/Scanner

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey Gang,
My in-laws need a multifunction printer/scanner/fax machine for their business. The print volume will be high and some of this will be given to clients, so laser is necessary. Color would be great as well, though that would add cost and I'm not sure is worth it. And finally, my wife would love a "scan to email" function where the scanner can "fax" a document via email in PDF format. Networked vs. USB doesn't make a huge difference. Anybody have good or bad experiences with particular brands/models?
Thanks!
Adcadet

ddrueding

Fixture
When it comes to the larger volume toys I either use HP or Xerox. Depending on the volume, you might consider a copier/multifunction. I've had good luck with these, and their primary role as a copy machine makes the cost easier to swallow for a lot of people.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think that multifunction devices are ever a good choice, but after getting a few converts to Samsung for small workgroup laser printers, I would be more willing to take a look at their MFP offerings than, say, HP.

Depending on what they're doing, they might be able to find a deal on a Canon or Xerox printer/copier. Locally, I've found that the Copier Rental is pretty cut throat, to the point that they make a better deal than standalone printers.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I agree with DD, if they do enough volume, then a colour copier/multi-function is the way to go. I've personally used the Xerox DCC240 (w/PS option) and the from what you describe will do everything you want...

Colour print/copy, scan to mailbox (MS Exchange), scan to email (TIFF or PDF), fully networked, multiply trays (A5, A4, A3), Full PostScript3 support, fax support (including fax to email/mailbox), etc...

The DCC240 has been replaced by the DC-II C2200 Copier, (The paper sorter shown is optional).

ddrueding

Fixture
Then perhaps our ideas of "high volume" are different. What is the load looking like? How many pages would a "large job" be? How many of these a week? For how many people would this be the default printer?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I agree with DD all around. First on the WorkCentres from Xerox; we have several of the 275 and they're very nice. Damn fast and rarely has issues (I don't recall ever seeing any "printer broken" signs off-hand). The one I use we have is supporting around 40 accountants plus a few random people like me so the print volume is high.

And for $350 you are not going to get something high volume. Fast, maybe. But nothing with a high monthly duty cycle can be had in that price range.

If they really are high volume then I suggest they look in to leasing one of the Xerox units.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Sorry for the confusion. The business is growing, but for now it seems like ~100 pages per day printed and copied will be the usual demand.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for the clarification, Adcadet. The other bit of useful information is how big are the individual print jobs going to be. If everyone is just doing 1-2 page docs, then speed is practically irrelevant. If a few people a day will be printing manuals out of the thing, it needs to be faster.