Multiple monitors and SLI

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm looking at getting a second 7950GT for SLI when I get my new screen (Samsung 305T). But I'm hoping to keep my current monitor (Viewsonic VP2130b) as a secondary screen for work. Will SLI handle that?

Further, I have my projector hooked up as well. I'm pretty sure that the two video cards can't both have monitors connected to them in SLI mode, but if I could switch between SLI and independent without rebooting it would be OK. Otherwise I'll need to build a dedicated HTPC system.

Also, looking into motherboards with 3 16xPCI-E slots (need one for the RAID card) that also do S775 and P35 chipset. The only one I could find is this one.

Thoughts?

TIA

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
SLI is single monitor only. You'll need an additional video card.
A PCI video card will in fact work just fine for any normal-ish sized monitor.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Also, looking into motherboards with 3 16xPCI-E slots (need one for the RAID card) that also do S775 and P35 chipset. The only one I could find is this one.

I don't know of any RAID cards that need more than an 8x slot. Chances are one of those 16x slots is 8x electrically anyway?

Edited to add:

ShowImage.aspx

If you look at the third image, looks like one of the 16x slots is only 1x electrical. WTF is up with that?

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't know of any RAID cards that need more than an 8x slot. Chances are one of those 16x slots is 8x electrically anyway?

You are correct, it is only 8x. But I haven't seen any 1x or 4x slots with the back open (to accommodate a larger card). So I suppose all I need is 2 16x slots and an 8x slot.

Edited to add:

ShowImage.aspx

If you look at the third image, looks like one of the 16x slots is only 1x electrical. WTF is up with that?

Worse than that, looks like one is 1x, one is 4x, and only one is actually 16x. What crap.