Multiple wireless access points

Handruin

Administrator
Has anyone setup a wireless network that could expand to using multiple access points to allow for seemless wireless operation over a larger area? What equipment would you recommend for a low budget operation? I was looking at the Netgear WG302 as a unit to suggest to someone, but it might be overkill for their needs. For a basic number of users (5-10 at any one time), could I even get away with using a Netgear WG602 instead of spending more for the WG302? For the WG602 they claim "Extend your wireless signal by adding a WG602 in repeater mode.** Dynamic rate shifting according to environmental conditions achieves the fastest possible connections."

I'm looking for a small business solution that can utilize one wireless access point now, and possibly expand coverage later. It all depends on how good the coverage will be in their new building. They may need two from the start. I'm also not clear if expand and extend will do the same thing. If the WG602 is in repeater mode, will this allow for more connections, or simply extend the range?

I'm also not stuck on netgear, it was the first place I began looking and I'll continue to explore the offerings of linksys and a few others.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
You need to figure out what kind of wireless topology you'll want.

A repeater just repeats the signals to and from the access point. This basically allows you to extend the network in the direction of the repeater. It does not add any bandwidth.

If you have multiple access points, each one will act as a hub to your wired network. Each access point will have its own set of bandwidth.

If this is for a business, I'd personally suggest business strength equipment. You'll probably want something that's wall or ceiling mountable and relatively inconspicuous.

Handruin

Administrator
I just stumbled onto the topology I was envisioning, yet I couldn't put a name to it. I was thinking of "roaming", and not repeating. Raoming is essentally two AP's that allow users to seemlessly transition between...so I believe.

I had suggested the same as you recommended, in that the wireless equipment be out of reach from anyone, and in the prime area where people will be. I didn't say t should be high, because I didn't know if that was good for the signal strength.

The business is a unique situation because it's an R/C car raceway. They won't be focusing on computers, but I discussed with the owner that maybe he could offer a WiFi hot spot for members as an added benefit? I was also considering using a combination router/firewall/wireless so that he doesn't have to purchase multiple pieces of equipment.

Not knowing how many people would actually bring a laptop to a race, I wasn't going to suggest that he spend a fortune on a wireless network right now. But at the same time, I don't want to shoot him in the foot with something that can't expand.

Netgear list the WG302 as a business wireless device. Would you consider it the same business strength you recommended, or were you thinking something higher like 3com or cisco? Maybe knowing more about the actually business may now skew what a business class device should be comprised of...

dimwit

What is this storage?
You might want to consider Symbol's Access Ports. They are significantly cheaper and a lot easier to maintain. (But that might not be an option for you).

Handruin

Administrator
Do you have any specific links to their hardware or should I just google?

dimwit

What is this storage?
Handruin said:
Do you have any specific links to their hardware or should I just google?

http://www.symbol.com/news/pressreleases/pr_modular802.11ab.html

You can also give their pre-sales team a call at 800-662-4046
I've worked with them on a few projects now and have been very pleased with the knowledge and expertise they had. (They weren't heavy on the sales talk either which was nice)