My cats hate books

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Oddly quiet here. You'd think we all had other things to do on Friday nights and Saturday mornings. Or something.

I have come to the conclusion that the natural enemies of cats are neither dogs nor mice.

Nope.

They're books and keyboards

Case in point:

I keep a stack of unread books beside my bed. For the last several months, one cat or another has decided that it's a fun game to knock over the stack by climbing up it and pushing the books down, one at a time. This happens about five seconds after I shut off my light for the evening. Usually this is accompanied by an audible and self-satisfied purr that is clear evidence of a scheme of feline evil.

The natural reaction of BOTH my cats to the presence of a hardcover book is to interpose their respective bodies between me and the words on the page. This is, literally, the most natural thing in the world, and if the book happens to be oversized, I may very well have co-conspiritors plotting to keep me from the written work. Books, even very thin ones resting on the floor, are also far more comfortable than a soft, carpetted floor, their various pillows, or the twin-size bed that is kept for them.

Paperbacks? Ha! One of my cats hates them enough that she bites them and swats at my hands while I read. Every paperback I have has little kitty toothmarks in it, and she'll attack paperbacks even when I'm not reading them, like they're chew toys, or perhaps it's just to keep them in their place.

Keyboards? My boy cat thinks they're the most comfortable place to lay in the whole world, particularly while I'm trying to type. Many's the post I make here with my fingers trapped beneath a sleepy-yet-mildly annoyed cat.

Now, there's no proof that cats are anti-intellectual. But I really am starting to wonder if cats have a secret campaign against the written word.

:)

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
I have a cat at work. He was rescued from the aftermath of a hit-and-run driver.

Tuffy (I didn't name him) has become quite the talk of our business. Needless to say, he has wormed his way into our hearts with his un-catlike friendliness and antics.

Merc--Tuffy is like your boy cat, he likes to get up on the desk, right between me and the keyboard. And he has to be Mother Nature's answer to the paper shredder. He loves to stalk sheets of paper and mutilate them beyond recognition. I don't think cats are anti-intellectual. I think that they have evolved beyond written word (or at least that's what Tuffy tells me :))

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe they're smart enough to realize that attention given them is instead being redirected towards books & keyboard. So they try to prevent you spending time with the "attention grabbers". Pretty much like kids, really.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
mubs said:
Maybe they're smart enough to realize that attention given them is instead being redirected towards books & keyboard. So they try to prevent you spending time with the "attention grabbers". Pretty much like kids, really.

absolutely... oh wait, the cat's calling me.. brb..

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Same here.... they love to sit on a nice glossy magazine page just while I'm trying to read it :)

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
This is all very true Merc. Its funny because I had a similar conversation about this at a dinner event last Saturday.

Anyways, I as well notice a strong correlation between the size of the media and the annoyingness level of the cats. Whenever I sit on the couch and try to read a newspaper, my lap suddenly becomes the best place in the house for any of them to hold a parade, and ususally they have to be as vocal about this as possible.

The cats generally don't bug me when I'm seated at one of my desks to work because of two reasons:
1) the desks are in an area of the house that could be classified as domains of the dog, and so the cats are always on their best behaviour when treading around these areas (note: it doesn't stop them from visiting, just the become less curious).
2) Strangely, only when I'm working late at night, and even in the presence of the dog, will they jump up. When they do, it always starts off harmlessly, but progresses rapidly to the keyboard and to their best effort of standing directly in front of the monitor blocking all view....Its almost like they're a kid asking a million questions before you get a chance to answer the first (i.e. whats that? why's the sky blue? can I have one? what's that do?....). Needless to say, (although they make me laugh when they do this) my tolerance for such anti-productivity behaviour leads to them being evicted pretty quickly.

In all fairness, the dog has a habbit of coming along and flicking my arm with his snout when I'm either reading a paper or typing. I can tell he takes great pride in his ability to disrupt my activity.

CK

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
My cat is not normally a lap cat. But when I read the Sunday paper she's there. Sometimes I kick up back in the recliner and have the dog on my legs and the cat on my lap.

Mostly she's a burrower and likes to be underneath the paper (or blanket or whatever) but sometimes she's a bit more demanding and walks right onto the paper while I'm trying to read it.

My cat is a seal point Himalayan (she looks a lot like this) and the dog is a Rat Terrier.

- Fushigi

Vlad The Impaler

I have proof that they are anti-intellectual.

Exhibit A: Get away from the computer and look at me!!

DSCF0053.JPG

Exhibit B: Well, now I have his attention, what shall I do??

DSCF0054.JPG

Exhibit C: I know! I'll have a bit of a wash......

DSCF0055.JPG

Sorry about the size of the piccies. If they are too much, I will take them down.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
This behavoir comes as no surprise to me at all. Of course cats will try to interpose their bodies between your eyes and whatever you're looking at. It is simply beyond their comprehension why you would want to look at anything else when you can have the privilege of looking at something as beautiful as them. Every cat that's ever owned me has had this trait. It just goes to show we humans are not the only conceited ones.

Cats. You can't live with them, you can't live without them.

Vlad The Impaler

Vlad's cat looks like a fairly young one

Nah, she is 13 this year we think. She was a rescue cat, although how anyone could give away such a sweet little cat as that I will never know. She is very gentle; never having even scratched either of us since she has lived with us; although she did pee on the floor once and only once when my Girlfriend shouted at her for not eating her food. Just to say 'two fingers' you understand!

At the vet, she has even sussed out that being inside her cat carrier is preferable to being outside. As soon as you tip her out she tries to get back in again; the only time you will ever see her getting into that box!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
Just to say 'two fingers' you understand!

:) The 2-million dollar salute. It would be hard getting her paw to contort those fingers or claws just right. Plus they're very small, not as noticable as Tea's. I can see why peeing would be much easier and much more memorable.