My day with tech support, and finally getting things working

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Today the new JetDirect 615N came in. It's identical to the 600 and 610, but has more memory on the card, according to the HP website.

It installed, said it was ready, but, I couldn't get it to hold an IP address consistently.

At first I thought the Modem might be set to limit connected devices to one, but, after I thought about it, that's all that was connected, a switch.

I seem to be able to get three devices to work, but no more. So, I decided to reconfigure the network. I have two gigabyte connections for each computer, so I put the switch on the two computers and the printer. Now it works fine, and 7 configures to use my 4000N on both computers.

I used the old Linksys 54G as the router, and connected both computers to that, along with the HTPC by wireless.

I'm getting 48Mbps on the beast, about 30 on the server, and 12-14 on the wireless.

Worthless tech support:
Memory something linked me to the HP website. No joy.
Called HP, and they told me that the 615N wouldn't work with my printer. I should be using the 600 or 610N. I guess the extra memory for firmware is supposed to make it not work, even though it's working fine and is the same card, other then memory?

Astound's guys told me that there was no webrowser baseed access to the Motorola modem, even though I WATCHED, and entered information when the tech guy came out to use my computer and set some stuff up awhile back. Asked for the manager, and, he was the one that pointed me to the switch setup as being the problem, and he was right. Overall a long day. I think I may go buy the E4200, since costco has them on sale...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
"Stream of consciousness may refer to:

* Ostensibly unedited, spontaneous live or recorded performances, as in film, music, and dramatic and comic monologues, intended to recreate the raw experience of the person portrayed or the performer
* Stream of consciousness (narrative mode), a narrative mode used as a literary, cinematic, theatrical, or lyrical technique"

The E4200 gives me the high end back on the Beast, over 110 mbps
plus constant 60-80mbps.
Wireless is limited by the G card in the other room and in the laptops to about 20mbps.

Anyone have a favorite N adapter?

Mercutio:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Get help, quickly. Others note the day for reference when questioned about when the decline started;-)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
An N adapter in a very old Panasonic laptop gave me 80 mbps, at close range.

I'm going to try a long USB 2 cable, and a N adapter first. They are cheap. The card in the other room is G only. It doesn't appear to be a very good card, either.

Ethernet cable would require a hole in the wall then run the cable in place of the current cable for TV that isn't in use. The CAT6 cable would be more expensive then the USB 2 N adapter, from what I can see. Plus, I'd have to get the right astound guy willing to drill the wall and run the cable. The laptop with the N adapter just ran 52 mbps, and 8mbps upload, sitting on top of the other computer, in the living room. So, a better adapter for the HTPC should give me plenty of speed. Top rated USB 2 adapter from newegg is 25 bucks.
The CAT 6 cable would probably be twice that.

gs

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Greg, you do understand that because of protocol overhead, reported connection speeds over 802.11 are pretty much the biggest load of crap ever, right?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I own a drill, just not the proper bit for this sort of thing;-)

Sam: I googled protocol overhead. Can't make the connection between premise and conclusion yet:

802.11 and biggest load of crap ever?

Might be I drank rum last night for the first time in a LONG time...;-(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
802.11 in any form loses about half its theoretical bandwidth to protocol overhead. Just the process of negotiating and maintaining communication with access points is going to make your connection a lot slower than the reported speed.

On top of that, the bandwidth is shared among all connected clients, not individually available to each as in a switched Ethernet system.

So your 80Mbit connection is probably at best really about 40Mbit, and that 40Mbit might be further divided between active clients. If you're streaming two or three movies from Netflix over 802.11, your "80Mbit" connection might in reality be more like 6.5Mbit.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sam:
There is only one or two wireless devices on at the same time. The machines I spend 99.5% of my time on are both Cat 6.

The main reason for the new router was the 54G Linksys was limiting the WIRED connections to around 45-48 Mbps.

That is noticeable vs.80-120 Mbps.

Also, despite your comments, 10-16 Mbps, vs. 60-80 Mbps is enough to make the websurfing experience noticeably different, and my SO notices it, as do I.

One thing I am noticing with the HTPC is using the Vertex Turbo as a boot drive seems to be getting it a lot of data, fast. It also seems to use a much higher percentage of the CPU. Combine this with certain webpages, and, the machine actually stutters when playing a DVD in PowerDVD 9, and websurfing. This with the 3800+.

Max cpu usage occurs more often now then it used to with the Velociraptor.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sam:
There is only one or two wireless devices on at the same time. The machines I spend 99.5% of my time on are both Cat 6.

The main reason for the new router was the 54G Linksys was limiting the WIRED connections to around 45-48 Mbps.

That is noticeable vs.80-120 Mbps.

Also, despite your comments, 10-16 Mbps, vs. 60-80 Mbps is enough to make the websurfing experience noticeably different, and my SO notices it, as do I.

Holy moly, what websites need that bandwidth that you would notice the difference in a practical way? I'd think the latency would be more important most of the time.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
msn.com is horrible, both adds loading, and stupid Flash stuff.

I should probably install Peerblock to get rid of a lot of that stuff.

THIS site actually loads VERY quickly, given the increase in bandwidth.

Greg is going to other room to install Peerblock...

LunarMist

I don't see any difference on this site from a speed factor of 10:1. Maybe if you can discern 1/10 of seconds there is something different. The main issue is the performance slowdowns on the SR server once in a while.

LunarMist

Yes, I mean this one at SF. :oops: It is struggling at the usual 8PM CDT.