My first few hours with XP

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
. .
Mercutio said:
...I could always promote a 2000 server to be PDC on my domain. Honestly I don't think it would help.
I suspect it would, only because the Primary Domain Controller stores the domain's access control list and the decryption engine.

Did you need a new nick already, Gary?
Well, it is becoming warmer these days, at least on the top half of the earth. Otherwise, it's the SR dichotomy effect.

. .

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio: Isn't the trash can looking better all the time???

I have no such problems, nor have I ever had, running 2000.

On the otherhand, I'm pretty lame when it comes to configing
Redhat, or Mandrake...

gs

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Re: Mercutio: Isn't the trash can looking better all the tim

Santilli said:
I have no such problems, nor have I ever had, running 2000.

XP has been out long enough that problems like the ones I've having just shouldn't be. I'm sure the Samba team is P.O.'d about whatever changes XP brought to the fileshare/authentication code, too. It's really not their fault.
Between that and the insta-crash from actually wanting to use all the features of my DVD playing software, yeah, I gotta say, XP is a steaming pile of something.

I suppose I'll be installing 2000 on that box tomorrow.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Looks like 'Big Brother' Bill had XP purposly designed not to be compatable with Linux.

Bozo :D

Mercutio

Funny thing about that... there are a lot of NAS units out in the world that use non-upgradable samba servers for client access. It's not just breaking the latest version of samba, it's limiting the utility of all that (fairly expensive) hardware, too.

James

Storage is cool
Splash said:
If you didn't have your SaMBa *nix box operating as the PDC of your NT Domain and instead had a real WinNT 4 Server or Win2K Server operating as the PDC, then theoretically the encrypted password problem would disappear.
I don't run a PDC at all. I'm only running a home network here, for Chrissake.

That way my MP3s are stored in a directory on my Sun box which I can access from everywhere - my Audiotron can read it too. I don't need massive device/user authentication at home.

Splash

. .
James said:

That was a message for Mercutio, since he is running a domain controller (SaMBa 2.2 has PDC capability).

As for you, James, you are using NBT, correct? That's all I use at home, but I have setup domains at home before.

. .

James

Storage is cool
Splash said:
James said:

That was a message for Mercutio, since he is running a domain controller (SaMBa 2.2 has PDC capability).
Ah, but you quoted me - hence the confusion.
As for you, James, you are using NBT, correct? That's all I use at home, but I have setup domains at home before.
I'm using Samba in a very lobotomised mode. What can I say, it was easy (precompiled binaries, yay!).

I did run AD at home for a while for kicks - or at least I thought it would be for kicks. What I found was that it was such an admin nightmare even with just two real users plus guest users, two network-attached printers, a filestore, a network CD changer, a DNS server and a DSL connection, that I gave it the flick and went scurrying back to the familiarity of Solaris and basic file sharing.

I'm about to sell my Ultra 5 box - it's huge overkill for what I do, and I can still get pretty good money for it out here - and replace it with one of the many P133/166 boxes I have kicking around. I'll run FreeBSD since I'm most comfortable with that, and after all the box is only doing basic fileserving, collecting and filtering my mail, then presenting it via an IMAP server - hardly challenging even for a "slow" box.

. .[/quote]

Mercutio

Well, I kicked one of my samba machines down to "workgroup-mode" for a little test.

... and it turns out that XP won't connect to that either. Note that none of the other machines have a problem connecting to it, even on the workgroup, just XP.

So I kicked the XP machine out of my domain, too, down to the same workgroup. At this point there is full commonality between the usernames on my XP box and samba on all my machines, full commonality among passwords etc.

XP still won't talk to my "workgroup" samba server and it still won't talk to those in my domain.

Gary, you should to know better than to say that PDCs carry the authentication engine for netlogon. That's not wholly true. Every domain controller has software for authentication, and every DC can authenticate a client (every DC, of course, has a copy of the PDC's ACL for the domain). Samba may be reverse-engineered, but it does exactly the same authentication as NT4. In its present, patched state, my Win2000 DCs can't even use the more advanced, encrypted authentication.

Splash

. .
Mercutio said:
...XP still won't talk to my "workgroup" samba server and it still won't talk to those in my domain...
I was just browsing through Samba's website covering version 2.2.x

http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

Encryption handling is the likely hangup.

I know this is grasping for straws, but, how about a slightly far-out test, but not really all that far-out:

• Assuming you're running a 100 Mb/s Ethernet network, try setting the Ethernet card in your WinXP box to run only 10 Mb/s then attempt another login to your Unix-alike boxes. I would even go as far as warm re-booting the WinXP box after the switch to 10 Mb/s just to positively confirm 10 Mb/s operation before the test. If it suddenly does work, that means there is a subtle incompatibility at the hardware (Ethernet hardware, not wire/cable) or transport layer -- somewhere (XP?). The only reason I mention this particular test is that I once experienced a compatibility problem like this with a Netware 4 server.

Some questions:

• *. . Is your Ethernet network switch-based or hub-based?
  • *. .If you are running ftpd on any of those Samba 2.2 Linux boxes, can you FTP from your WinXP box into your Linux boxes?
  • *. .If you are running a webserver on any of your Samba 2.2 Linux boxes, can your WinXP box load a webpage from one of those Linux boxes?
  • *. .Are you running NetBEUI on your WinXP box?
I'm assuming you're not running WINS there for some reason.

Gary, you should to know better than to say that PDCs carry the authentication engine for netlogon...
Yes, I know way better. What I was trying to say earlier is that you should try putting an honest-to-goodness (badness?!?) Windows NT 4.0 Primary domain controller (all other as secondary domain controllers and/or workgroup clients) into the mix and see if you can suddenly (magically) log into *any* of your Samba 2.2 Linux boxes from your WinXP box. If it did, you would isolate your problem to authentication and the likely problem of encryption handling.

PS: I'm up to my ass in test homework and term papers (Business Administration) as well as taking care of my usually-more-than-40-hour-a-week job, so, I may not get back here so quickly to dish out sundry mistreatments and provide eccentric suggestions.

. .