My Toshiba laptop's HDD Protection program keeps getting disabled

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
dd has had better luck, reliability-wise, than I have. He's also experienced a lower percentage of failures than I have. I've had four Intel drives fail and four OCZ, out of perhaps 120 drives purchased in the last four years. OCZ's support experience is so bad that I decided not to even pursue RMA replacement of the most recent failure. Intel's RMA depot is located close enough that I get RMAs back two business days after I ship them, which really means it's my first choice for anything I need to rely on.
Whoa, you've really had baaaad luck with SSDs! Regarding the concept of "the back-up", some of us must have experienced a drive failure before a back-up was completed. In this case, the data was lost. Therefore, if any hard drive fails at any time, we hope it will be after we do a back up. Since I've had great success with all of my drives since my first desktop pc in July 1992, except for a noisy Samsung Spinwrite drive failing to boot to desktop and having too many bad blocks to function reliably, I insist that any drive I use in either my laptop or desktop has a great track record. Despite jtr1962's testimony, I'm still not convinced that SSDs are more reliable than a generic mechanical drive.

Even if Intel's service center is across the street, it doesn't help that the drive may have failed at the most inopportune moment. If I had a slew of failures with my Maxtor and Western Digital drives, and the noisy Samsung drive I'm currently using with the desktop's Win 7 Ultimate OS failed as well, I would be "less suspicious" of SSDs. Mechanical drives have been exceptionally good to me, especially when one considers that I'm on my 2 pcs probably 12 hours a day.....every day!

Hey Merc, I know you issued a fatwah on Western Digital drives, but these drives have been the most reliable for me and the quietest running. Is there any way that I can soften you up and have you retract that fatwah?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Whoa, you've really had baaaad luck with SSDs!

Not really THAT bad. In my experience, about 5% of mechanical drives will go bad within the formerly standard three year warranty period. Samsung and Hitachi were far better in that regard than Seagate or most especially WD in that regard.

My standard practice is to install SSDs only in systems where I can keep some kind of mechanical drive to back up data in a consistent fashion. That's a big of a trick in notebooks, but in my opinion nothing irreplaceable should be store on a notebook in the first place.

Is there any way that I can soften you up and have you retract that fatwah?

I'd accept a formal written apology for its existence up to this point followed by ritual suicide of entire senior management and all its majority shareholders. Seppuku is, after all, the sincerest form of contrition.