MySQL 5.6 on Ubuntu Server = no go

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Oracle really doesn't do its homeworks. They make a repository (file.deb) available for Debian, but when you unpackage the package, you end up with a partial installation of MySQL and not with something that's ready to run. How the fuck do they expect us to work with that?

Why don't they simply make the tarball available (it is) and create a single installation documentation when using that tarball. It would be much simpler.

If any of you has a Debian, Mint or Ubuntu installation, try to install the MySQL 5.6 package I linked above (it's the 64-bit version). You end up with nothing in /etc (where my.cnf is expected to be), no executable in /etc/init.d (where the mysql exec should be) and it even puts everything in /opt instead of placing mysql stuff where you expect it to be (in /usr/local).

I'm pissed. Waste my time, Oracle. Just like if I have another century to live.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Partially unrelated ; while reading the web, trying to find a solution to my problem, I read some people speaking of a "brew installation". What's the link between beer and programming? If there is one, no wonder why so many programs fail all the time.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I finally found a way to make it work earlier today, but either I or the other guy working on it screwed it because mysql.server now refuses to start since we reboot the server.

I installed mysql 5.6.12 from a tarball. I read that the problem I have could be fixed by reinstalling mysql. All the guides I've found so far tell how to remove mysql using apt-get, but I didn't install it using apt-get. How can I remove mysql installed from a tarball?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
By deleting all the files it installed.

If you're feeling ballsy you might just pipe a find command into rm. Personally I don't think I'd be down with that for a production machine.

Handruin

Administrator
By deleting all the files it installed.

If you're feeling ballsy you might just pipe a find command into rm. Personally I don't think I'd be down with that for a production machine.

I'm guessing the tarball extracting to a single base location. Remove that location like Mercutio suggested.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The reason that software distributed in a tarball is installed into /opt is for exactly this reason. It makes it easy to tell that you installed it yourself and easy to remove.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm guessing the tarball extracting to a single base location. Remove that location like Mercutio suggested.

So there shouldn't be any traces of it on places like /var/lib or /var/I-forgot-what? Removing the mysql folder I created seems too simple. I hope it'll work. Thanks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The chances are pretty good that the dependent libraries and their installed locations will be the same for whatever MySQL you happen to use. There's probably some stuff in /var/lib or /opt/lib or something, but if you're going to be reinstalling all that might mean is that you either overwrite those files or that there's some extra crap in a folder that never gets referenced by anything.