NEC Burner vs. Sony burner...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi

I went over to the NEC 3520 burners, two in each machine, and, I thought I would go over my general impressions, aside from the usual review type stuff.

The Sony had pretty much determined how I ripped stuff around here. Since I use my extensive DVD library at school, I was not about to take an original to school, for theft, and vandalism.

Ripping With DVD Shrink had taught me with the Sony, that ANY compression meant pixelated movies, and poor playback, even when using Sony 1X-8X media. I had a stack of Memorex Made In Taiwain DVD-R's that had given me a very high coaster rate on the Sony, with, if playable, high pixelation, and gave up on them.

I flashed the firmware to 8x, as it should have been in the first place, and still had the same results.

I gave up trying to rip with any sort of compression.

Well, I just started using the Memorex disks with the NEC writers, since the supply of Sony disks has dried up, and I haven't scene a good sale on Taiyo Uden or Verbatim in my store browsing around here, for 16X disks.

To my shock, no pixelation, and so far flawless DVD's. Another shock is compression under DVDShrink seems to work, just fine, above 85%.

So, this reviewer gives the Sony a 0 star rating, using expensive media, was expensive, and burned at half the speed of the NEC. So far, the NEC is flawless, inexpensive, and burns on nearly all media.

s

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't think we'll have much of a debate if I affirm that most of Sony's peripherals are at best inferior products compared to what the competition can offer.

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
CougTek said:
I don't think we'll have much of a debate if I affirm that most of Sony's peripherals are at best inferior products compared to what the competition can offer.

Hey... it's a SONY :p

If they invested their cash in R&D not to mention QA instead of the superfluous jingle-ated, techno-styled advertising campaigns, things may be different ;)

Thanks for the 'heads up' CougTek :aok:

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
CougTek said:

No debate from me. Sony optical products suck. The last good Sony optical I saw was a 16X ... and I don't mean a 16X DVDR. I don't even mean a 16X CDRW. I mean a 16X CD reader. And that was an exception. Their other optical back before that excellent unit were ordinary at best, ranging back to crudsville. The Sony 2X, for example, was inferior to Panasonic, Creative, even Mitsumi.

"Sony: the one and only." Well, it would need to be the one and only before I'd use one. Not if there was another brand to use instead.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
CougTek said:
tazwegion said:
Hey... it's a SONY :p
5$ Mercutio will see his lunch again when he'll read this line.

I didn't realize it, but the Sony cost three times the NEC, and works half as well. Thank God for Costco, except, they purchased the POS in the first place...

s

Ted

What is this storage?
It's probably a rebadged Lite-On rather than a true Sony product. Whats the model number?

Good choice with the NEC. I've found that my 3520A happily burns media that my Pioneer and LG have trouble with.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Took it back to Costco.

they carry Sony burners and TDK DVD media. Doesn't work...

s