Need a Decent Phone

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
...but not very expensive. Does that exist in the 2021 era? My current phones were around $300 each, but one of them does not accept a newer OS, so the work-related apps just don't. :(
Most of the reviews of the cheaper phones indicate that they are not so reliable or suffer some critical defects.
I must be on the T-mobiles, which may be detrimental?
I really don't feel like spending $1000 mainly to receive the constantly annoying 2-factorial text messages to access SAP, Ariba, etc. and run TEAMS.
I otherwise only use a phone for web and emails. The cameras will be covered with Gaffer's tape and I would not store anything personal on that phone for obvious reasons. Thanks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Website
s-laker.org
I think Motorola is the gold standard for mid-tier Android phones. They tend to have 700-series Snapdragon CPUs and middling displays, but they tend toward the absurd end of battery life. I've suggested the Moto G Power or Ace for friends who aren't concerned about the camera.

Samsung A5x phones are also quite nice and also highly recommended, but S20s that are refurbished or S20FEs on discount sometimes drop into the low $400 range, and those are phones that will hold up for years because they do still have flagship specs. Samsung is saying they're planning to offer at least two cycles of full OS upgrades to new phones, and I've gotten three monthly security patches since I got my S20. Samsung DOES want to sell you on their camera, but in its favor, it's hard to find fault in those bright, high refresh displays and crap-tons of RAM.

Reactions: fb

LunarMist

The last phone they supplied was a Blackenberry. :D Now we receive some bucks per month to spend on phone services. 85% of the people I see only have one phone, but a good one.

The apps now are just awful with the permissions required. My "work" phone has hundreds of contacts I saved years ago on a Dell Core 2 Duo, including many that are irrelavant or deceased. And TEAMS messages are practically 24 hours a day due to the global nature. :(

LunarMist

Is this the one? It is rather huge and heavy, maybe too much to keep it in my pants.
Is 6GB of RAM enough to last a few years or will the CPU be a limiting factor?
I don't see any update policy. How can I discover the last OS that will be updated on the device?

fb

Storage is cool
OS updates are maybe the weak point of motorola? I love their phones, have had a Moto Z and Moto One Hyper, but they received very sporadical updates. I bought the Z spring 2017 and the updates stopped in August 18. :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Website
s-laker.org
Is this the one? It is rather huge and heavy, maybe too much to keep it in my pants.
Is 6GB of RAM enough to last a few years or will the CPU be a limiting factor?
I don't see any update policy. How can I discover the last OS that will be updated on the device?
Moto is not great with updates. Samsung and Google are best in that department, each giving about three years of software support on average, though Google is claiming more for the just released Pixel 6 series. Samsung promises support through two Android revisions past the release versions and in general continues to provide security updates beyond that, at least for S series models.

For what it's worth, my ancient Galaxy S4 has LineageOS 17 on it, which is based on Android 11. I couldn't do that stuff with my LG phones because they didn't have unlocked bootloaders, but Samsung phones are so common and well supported that it's nothing to move them on to open source ROMs oncethey lose official support.

sedrosken

Florida Man
A third (fourth?) on Motorola. I myself use a Moto G Power 2020 (Snap 665, 4GB RAM, US$230 on Amazon back in July), I learned my lesson from past movements and just bought the unlocked version directly from them. Yes, OS updates are the big achilles' heel of Motorola these days, since their acquisition by Lenovo you get updates for a year, maybe two and then you're done. I don't consider this a big deal because, being unlocked, I can easily unlock the bootloader and do as I wish -- in particular I bought the 2020 over the 2021 because the 2021 drops the ultrawide camera and doesn't have as active a dev scene, and is otherwise completely the same.