Need a Decent Phone

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I was able to check a Moto Stylus 5G with Andorids 12 and it did not have the 85% battery setting. Instead there is some weird battery saver that stops charging after 3 days when pugged in and 100%. That is hardly a useful setting.

LunarMist

Yes, I use it. The charge does not stop. It just creates an alarm or notification that is useful if the operator is present. I think there is an IOT AC outlet than could be controlled, but that's too much hassle. At home I use a timed USB control. The app indicates battery capacity at 93% after 3.8 years using ~80% charging most of the time. I charge phones 100% on travel.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I use it to keep track of my battery health, but I found the alarm annoying as it'd constantly go off right when I was about to sleep. I don't really pay much attention to my charging habits but I somehow keep rolling sixes and none of my devices are significantly worn, even the ones I've had for years.

LunarMist

My cellphones are set to vibrate and I don't keep them in my bedroom. :ROFLMAO:

Handruin

Administrator
I've also given up on worrying about the battery heath on my devices. So far they've been fine after several years and numerous cycle counts of charging to 100%.

I don't even set my phone to vibrate any more, it's on complete silence except for my morning alarm clock.

LunarMist

I like the vibrate to notice the incoming TEAMs calls if I'm not looking at a computer display at that moment.
The 85% charge setting is just fine. I can still get two days from it easily.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I wouldn't keep my cell in my bedroom either, except I'm always on-call, and I don't have a TV in my bedroom to spit generic noise at me so I can actually focus on something other than my own thoughts for long enough to fall asleep anymore.

I customize ringtones by contact so I know who I can safely ignore until I'm actually available, but other than that I keep my notification noises pretty generic -- in fact they're all the "chord" error sound from Windows 95. Not 98 and up, that's actually a different, distinct sound. My alarm was set, as a joke, to a MIDI of a Depeche Mode song. I find it just annoying enough to wake up and shut off, but not annoying enough that I specifically want to change it back to anything.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Website
s-laker.org
How does that work in OutlooK?

I have no idea. Outlook, like iOS and Western Digital, is a thing that should not be tolerated to exist.

Gmail/Android allows a custom notification sound based on labels and labels can be handled with conditional modifiers, so it's pretty easy to make my phone beep in particular ways. I don't actually use labels for filing anything but I do use them to tell me what's going on when I'm not immediately paying attention. This is useful for server monitoring vs getting a social message from a regular correspondent vs a UPS Delivery notice.

LunarMist

I have no idea. Outlook, like iOS and Western Digital, is a thing that should not be tolerated to exist.
Do you use the recent large capacity Seagate Exons drives at home? I'm really disappointed in the ugly seek noise compared to the old 10TB helium models. I have no budget for hard drives until H2 2023 unless it becomes urgent, but I'm going for WD drives next time if they are quiet.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Website
s-laker.org
Almost all my 10TB+ drives are Exos or Ironwolf. I don't really notice the noises they make, but it's not like they're X15s, either. They live in a rack that's shoved into the back of a walk in closet. I'll probably be replacing the 8TB SMR drives that make up the bulk of my storage for at least a couple more years though.

Handruin

Administrator
I ended up picking up 6 of the WD ultrastar dc hc650 20TB drives and they're fairly quiet from what I can tell but haven't done a lot of tests involving sound.