Need a Printer

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My last B3 printer is in need of factory service and it is a impractical to print letter paper on the 17" wide photo printer.

I see a lot of wireless printers in the $100-200 range, which would allow them to be used in another room. Are any of them worth a damn? I will only be printing 500-1000 pages per year. A compact footprint and closed trays are desirable. Thanks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Craigslist, Freecycle, Ebay etc. Look for an HP Laserjet that's old enough to drive.

Either that, or buy the cheapest POS you can find and just replace it when you've used all the ink.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Either that, or buy the cheapest POS you can find and just replace it when you've used all the ink.
That would add to the landfills. My DVD player died, and I paid to get it "fixed". The fix didn't stick; they told me at the shop not to bother coming back if it died again because it was on its last legs. I'm cringing now as to what to do with it.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
That would add to the landfills. My DVD player died, and I paid to get it "fixed". The fix didn't stick; they told me at the shop not to bother coming back if it died again because it was on its last legs. I'm cringing now as to what to do with it.

You don't have any recycling centers near you?
Maybe you can send it back to the maufacturer.

Mercutio

That's not your fault. It's the fault of the manufacturers for not being willing to make a worthwhile product. Even when you buy a $400 printer or $800 DVD player (coughSonyEScough), you may not be getting anything that would qualify as non-disposable.

LunarMist

I'm getting the feeling this is like asking for a fine digital P&S. There are none.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm getting the feeling this is like asking for a fine digital P&S. There are none.
I disagree, there are quite a few fine digital P&S's. You're looking for the elusive digital P&S that will rival your DSLR. That of course by definition doesn't exist.

Likewise, if you're looking for a $1k printer for $100-200 you're not going to find it.

LunarMist

Cost is not really the issue. I need a printer that is well closed when not in use, so that it does not get dusty in between uses. The printer must also be compact since there really is no good place for it.

LunarMist

I will if it is not used for a couple of weeks at a time. Maybe I should not be so concerned about dust as with the photo printer. Even typical shed skin fragments can make small visible spots on the paper at close viewing distance.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
You don't have any recycling centers near you?
Maybe you can send it back to the manufacturer.
I bought it in the U.S. and brought it with me to India. India has been recycling things for the longest time - paper, glass, you name it. Cheap labor allows door-to-door collection and aggregation of old stuff. For what are considered durables, there is always a trade-in program when you buy something new - refrigerator, washing machine, TV, air-conditioner, etc. These things also have AMCs available. Oddly, DVD players neither are accepted as trade-in nor can be put on an AMC. Tells you how much confidence the manufacturers have in that particular product. I am talking about big names like Philips, Samsung, LG, etc.

I usually keep things till they break - phones, cell phones, TVs, fridges, whatever. I buy near top-of-the-line even if they are expensive, because I find they are more durable. My last PC (that I built) I used for 6 years. It still works and is my standby and test machine. This one is now 3.5 years old. My daughter uses a 8 year old hand-me-down Dell with a Viewsonic monitor I bought in 1998. My AV Receiver was bought in 1996 - still going strong. My Sony (Made in japan - the "old" company, not the current one) TV in the U.S. was 20 years old when I gave it away when I moved to India. My first car there I used for 8 years 180k miles; the second one for 12 years 180k miles.

This DVD player lasted me 5 years.

I am sure there are electronic scrap parts stores that will dismantle it for the motor and other parts. I just need to find one.

LunarMist

I bought this one. The main reasons are that it is supplied with a full set of the XL cartridges (some printers have small or starter cartridges) and also has a covered front paper tray. The sheet fed scanner and fax are a bonus. At 40% off the unit will be worthwhile even if it dies in a year. The one drawback is that a drive letter appears for the memory card slot, so I turn the power off when not in use.

I'm using the USB for now. I'm not sure how the wireless works.

LunarMist

At the Office store a few days ago. The cupboard was empty but they located one in the back. The sale is probably over by now.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
That isn't bad at all. I am thinking I could use a photo inkjet eventually.

I actually just picked up a Dell color laser 1320c for free. It has no toner in it at all, four colors. Dell wants $312, monoprice wants about $80 and ebay has some for $50 and up.

I am trying to load drivers so I can determine the page count and maybe determine if the printer is worth buying toner for. Doing a firmware update for a while now, found that while trying to find out the other life cycle info. Hope it isn't hosed.

It would be pretty nice to get rid of my CLJ5, 150lb beast that it is.

LunarMist

I am using the all-in-one printer specifically not for photos. I want to conserve the photo printer which is well over ten times the cost. Just the auto switch of ink tanks back and forth in the Epson is about $5.

In researching inkjet printers it is clear that the ink cost is inversely proportional to the cost of the printer. ;)

For example in Epson K3 (a pro pigmented ink) discount tank prices are

13 mL: $11.20
80 mL: $47.99
110 mL: $49.95
220 mL: $82.95

Yet in the wide format consumer photo printers 11.4 mL of ink costs the same or more than 13 mL of K3. The smaller printers have even smaller cartridges, typically ~7.4 mL and cost is similar for only 2/3 of the amount.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I will if it is not used for a couple of weeks at a time. Maybe I should not be so concerned about dust as with the photo printer. Even typical shed skin fragments can make small visible spots on the paper at close viewing distance.

Put it in a plastic trash bag with a twisty on the opening. Stays nice and clean.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have never used the 11x17 capability on it, also I don't think it can do 11x17 in color. Least I know it wouldn't in PCL, never tried after the PS (vista compatibility) conversion. Only thing I hate about it is it can take several whole minutes per page to print a PDF. Basic ones like a flight itinerary are quick but printing a brochure or complex CAD will bring it to its knees. What would you use that big paper for? Believe me photo quality it aint, even on a good quality newer laser I can't think of a use except legal maybe?

I loaded all the software for the Dell 1320c and I couldn't get it to divulge anything in relation to page count or consumable levels, but service tag says it was new 7/13/2007. I did find that the network "option" isn't there, kind of a big bummer as I was going to use it. According to the donor the printer was fine before they saw the cost of toner and cannibalized this one to feed another in the office. Thinking about whether I want to gamble on toner for this thing, I guess worst case I get a new one (same model still sold) and have plenty of extra toner for it. Does bother me that I cant find the PHD (combined drums and transfer belt), fuser or the network option/adapter on dell's site on anywhere else.

Mercutio

Only thing I hate about it is it can take several whole minutes per page to print a PDF. Basic ones like a flight itinerary are quick but printing a brochure or complex CAD will bring it to its knees.

Every printer where I have seen that issue, I've been able to resolve it by moving to Postscript drivers.

Just sayin'.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I couldn't see a difference when I moved to postscript on the CLJ5, neither did bumping the memory up to 52mb. The thing is just freaking old and slow, I think it is like postscript level minus 1 or something.

On the 1320c I don't see that it supports postscript OR PCL, just says "host based printing" whatever that is. Must be the winmodem of printers. Guess that is the final strike against that printer, was a nice thought but I guess I will just get something decent.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Kodak esp3 aio, the ink cost on this is far below anything else I have seen. Works well for the kids projects, I just print, no raping by epson/HP. $70 at walmart. user replaceable printhead also a plus.