Need cheap web hosting for small site (not mine).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Hi guys. A guy I know asked me how much it would cost him to get a .com and a small online space for a low traffic/small size web site. He plans to do it in Java and he has a few pictures, but everything should be quite light weight.

I haven't been on the Net and in the tech field much lately, so I didn't know exactly where to go and how much it would cost him. He found something for 7$/month, but he didn't tell me where and what's the expected uptime either. He doesn't want something with ads. I guess his site should fit inside 25MB and he probably won't need more than 100MB/month of bandwidth.

I thought about franticdownstream (Handruin's host), but I don't know/remember how much it cost.

Got a flashlight anyone?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Normally you can get webspace included with your broadband connection. Then you would simply register a domain name and point it to your web location. If this is a one page website, easyspace.com offers it for free when you register your domain name with them. There is also yahoo.com for web hosting.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
You might know but there will be two charges, registering the domain and hosting the website. Registering the domain should be no more than $10/year and is usually done through the company you buy the web hosting space from. Hosting for his usage should be no more than $10/month with many places cheaper at around $5 or $8 per month.

I registered and host my personal site through jumpdomain.com.
I also have web space at 1and1.com from when they were doing the free web space for 3 years promotion.

Handruin

Administrator
Your friend might need to be more specific in the type of java he's trying to host. If he's looking for JavaServer Pages (JSP) or servlets, I think he'll need a hosting company that optimizes in that area. They specifically may want to host using apache Jakarta Tomcat. My hosting does not support Tomcat or JSP pages, so I won't be able to help you in that area.

In terms of obtaining a domain name, www.godaddy.com is a cheap source. I use www.dotster.com and they've been fine for several years now, however they are not the cheapest domain register around.

There are so many places to host with on the net, that you might want to find a place with a decent money-back guarantee. On source you could try, is if you find a place worth considering, search a bit at web hosting talk to see if there are any negative reviews.

I've heard decent reviews of http://www.mediatemple.net and http://www.ipowerweb.com/products/webhosting/index.html .

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I need to design a site for my little LAN thing. The goat-sucking bastards currently hosting my website can't even handle keeping a 3-line CGI script working properly.

Sigh. I'm finally going to have to break down and get real web space of my own.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks guys. Yes I knew that there were two separate things to pay for (hosting and domain name). I'll ask him what kind of Java he was talking about.

I've visited a few links you provided and Media Temple seems to be the most advantageous for him. Cheaper than Pair and enough space and bandwidth for his needs.

Another happy customer...