Need juicy computer news of the past month...

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I can't check computer news very often here so I have fallen behind with the recent advances in computer technology.

Can anybody give me a small paragraph of what has happened in the industry the past month... errm, with the usual gossip (Tom sucks, Gates said that, ecetera ecetera...) :D

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There really hasn't been any. Seriously. Very, very slow month. ATI announced a card that spanks GF4s. WD wants a 200GB drive in every PC, Microsoft is going to stop shipping 2000 in December.
Eugene at SR got a half-explanation for crappy SCSI performance in XP.

OS/2 is still dead, and so are SR's forums. :p

<duck>

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Thanx Mercutio,

about Windows 2000's last month? Why do I have reasons to believe that not everybody is happy about it? I don't remember hearing good comments for XP from you and William (NRG). :-?

James

Storage is cool
XP is fine. Trouble is, you can't run a server with it, so you're pretty much relying on MS sorting out the issues with the server versions of XP within a month or two of shipping them (unlikely).

adriel

Learning Storage Performance
There is always news in parts or sub-parts of the computer industry. They may be outside the consumer market, but they exist nonetheless.

-COTS
-embedded
-instrumentation
-rugged
-commercial: industrial & medical
-defense

example
--real-time OS
--switched fabric standards
--public kiosk & vandal
--VME & c/PCI
--conduction cooled
--signal processing close to sensor requirements

There are newsworthy developments all the time in the computer industry.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
... and if you think PeeWee cares about, say, industrial computing or optical switching applications, you have more faith in him than I do.