Need recommendation for a good cable/DSL switch + firewall.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Hi,

My ISP will charge me 5$ more next month for the cable-modem location and I want to lower my monthly payments so I would like to get a cable-modem instead of paying to rent one. I want one with a built-in firewall. 4 10/100Mbit plugs is also a feature I'd like to have. I don't want to pay much for it, preferably not more than 70U$.

Is it too much to ask for that price?

Also, if anyone of you is aware of special issues some of the cheaper cable/DSL modem router might have, please let me know.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I just learned that cable/DSL router and cable modem are two different things. I guess I'll have to find another alternative :(

James

Storage is cool
Coug, yes it is too much to ask for at that price. :)

I'm pretty sure that D-Link makes such a box, although looking at their web page I can't find it.

Alcatel makes one : http://www.alcatel.com/consumer/dsl/pdf/datasheet510.pdf although theirs only has a 10Mb switch (or hub, I forget which) instead of the more usual 100Mb one.

I'm sure all the usual suspects (SMC, Netgear, etc.) all make one now or will soon release one. I suspect they will be in the US$150-200 range.

A standalone "residential gateway" is pretty much a must with ADSL, and they're getting very cheap nowadays (US$70 or so). Pay the $5 a month or whatever for the ADSL or cable "modem" and get yourself a gateway as well.