.NET

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I've always suspected .NET of being another case of the Emporer's new clothes (a fancy name for passing and working with XML) but this adds a little weight

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5334

It seems Microsoft don't want you to disclose .NET benchmarks. Do they have some performance issues that they want to hide?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
All the more reason to support other software manufacturers. Today I worked with Redhat 7.1 and KDE (sorry, I forget the version). The desktop was decent, and the package improved as I imstalled Mozilla.

What is most aggravating is that most of my cusotmers use software for business or pleasure that is not available for linux. The use of this software is necessary not only for the task, but also for sharing files (e.g. insurance software, QuickBooks, QuarkXpress, etc. (they share these proprietary files with their clients who also use the same programs)).

But things are improving, and I have hope. :D

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Why don't you get RedHat 7.3 Buck? The ISO are easily downloadable on the Net. RH 7.3 has KDE 3.0, which is a nice improvement compared to the 2.xx version that you currently use with RedHat 7.1.

I saw on kernel.org that version 2.4.19 of Linux's kernel is now available. I'll have to look for a way to upgrade the one I'm now using (2.4.18 ) on my own RedHat 7.3 box. Does anyone has a clue on how to upgrade the kernel on RedHat and recompile everything for an i686 machine (Athlon classic)?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:
Why don't you get RedHat 7.3 Buck? The ISO are easily downloadable on the Net. RH 7.3 has KDE 3.0, which is a nice improvement compared to the 2.xx version that you currently use with RedHat 7.1.

I saw on kernel.org that version 2.4.19 of Linux's kernel is now available. I'll have to look for a way to upgrade the one I'm now using (2.4.18 ) on my own RedHat 7.3 box. Does anyone has a clue on how to upgrade the kernel on RedHat and recompile everything for an i686 machine (Athlon classic)?

I'm more inclined to like Linux, but the responsibility to my customers cannot be solved by anyone other than Windows based software (monopoly? :eekers: )

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:

What is the difference between valhalla-SRPMS-disc1.iso and valhalla-i386-disc1.iso? I'm guessing the i386 is for x86 systems, but what about the other?

SteveC

Storage is cool
The valhalla-SRPMS-disc1.iso is the source code. The one you want to install it is the valhalla-i386-disc1.iso.

Steve

Handruin

Administrator
I just downloaded the 3 ISO's for valhalla the other day, what are the other two for?

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
Doug, read SteveC's post two posts above yours.

I know, that was why I asked. :) SteveC said to use "valhalla-i386-disc1.iso", but there was also "valhalla-i386-disc2.iso" and "valhalla-i386-disc3.iso"...

Just curious what the other two are for. Should I even bother burning the CD's for those? Also, does "valhalla-i386-disc1.iso" support SMP? I'm going to be installing this on a quad PIII.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Handruin said:
CougTek said:
Doug, read SteveC's post two posts above yours.

I know, that was why I asked. :) SteveC said to use "valhalla-i386-disc1.iso", but there was also "valhalla-i386-disc2.iso" and "valhalla-i386-disc3.iso"...

Just curious what the other two are for. Should I even bother burning the CD's for those? Also, does "valhalla-i386-disc1.iso" support SMP? I'm going to be installing this on a quad PIII.

My answer was in response to Buck's question about the difference between the *SRPMS* and *i386* discs, so I didn't include the other discs. Discs 2 & 3 hold the additional programs which, depending on what you install, you will likely need. An SMP kernel is included on the first disc.

Steve

Adcadet

Storage Freak
my Red Hat installs typically need all three disks....I should just set aside three CD-RWs for burning the lastest version to.

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
LiamC said:
...It seems Microsoft don't want you to disclose .NET benchmarks. Do they have some performance issues that they want to hide?

I believe it's MS wanting .NET ® software application benchmarkers to prove that they can pass technical muster before they go a publishin' benchmarks or writing benchmarking software that involves .NET ®. This would presumably include hardware companies like Dell, IBM, HP, ...Sun (joke there -- well, maybe not!) that produce hosting hardware that want to publish their .NUT ® benchmarks, not to mention .SCREW and .WASHER benchmarks, not to mention .CHAIR and even .BENCH benchmarks, not to mention .PICNIC.TABLE benchmarks. OK, where the hell did that ale go???

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
For what it's worth, an install of .NET server on a machine that previously had 2000 Server installed, .NET was noticably faster.

Bozo :D