Netbooks and the lack of specs

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
G'Day,

I've been looking at getting a netbook for myself (due to going back to Uni, and don't want to carry a heavier laptop, since I'll be riding a bike to Uni).

However I'm having trouble finding the exact spec's on many model netbooks, in particular what LAN and WLAN adapters are fitted, since my choice of OS will not be Windows.

I'm thinking of using OpenSolaris, since my home box is running Solaris 10 at the moment, and would like easier for me. I would use Solaris 10, but it's WLAN adapter support is lacking. (Only 7 adapters are listed in the HCL).

Using Atom, 945G chipset, IntelHD audio, UVC based Webcams are all supported by OpenSolaris, just getting the right LAN and WLAN adapter information seems to be tricky.

Does anyone know of a resource that lists the LAN and WLAN adapters found in netbooks? (I can appreciate that some manufacturers will often change the adapter mid production run, but if I know where to look, it would be good).

PS. I've just found OpenSolaris is fully supported on the Toshiba NB200. ( http://www.opensolaris.com/toshibanotebook/#models ), and the Asus S101 as well.

PPS. Opensolaris WLAN info page is here: http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+laptop/wireless and http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+laptop/wireless_driver_compatible_list

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Thanks for that link. Rather interesting.

I does seem that Linux has the heads up in supporting newer WLAN adapters. :(

After doing lots of digging, it become apparent the primary reason that most manufacturers don't list what's included, is because they will supply whatever is cheapest on the day. Most, if not all netbooks, use miniPCIe based WLAN adapters so that can be swapped out as needed.

Asus eeePC 1001HAs for example have been found to come will Atheros 8132 LAN adapters, but up to 3 different WLAN adapters. (Commonly it's a ralink 3090 WLAN adapter).

The Lenovo S10 gen1 is fully supported under OpenSolaris (and FreeBSD and even QNX), but changes to the LAN and WLAN adapters in gen2 and gen3 revisions rule out anything but Windows and Linux (and Linux must be the most recent kernel version for it to work).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Are you still going to try to run OpenSolaris, seems like more trouble than it's worth to me.

You could also check out Nexenta. OpenSolaris kernel with a GNU userland.

I know someone that bought a Lenovo S10, it's decent, but I don't think I could stand the 1024x600 resolution for more than about 5 minutes. Some of the newer netbooks come with 11.6" or 12.1" screens and higher resolutions. They are still extremely portable, but a lot nicer to use.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Are you still going to try to run OpenSolaris, seems like more trouble than it's worth to me.

You could also check out Nexenta. OpenSolaris kernel with a GNU userland.
Why, I already know and am used to the SunOS and SYSV userland? (I started with Solaris in the v8 days, and my home PC currently runs Solaris 10 U8 ).
Some of the newer netbooks come with 11.6" or 12.1" screens and higher resolutions. They are still extremely portable, but a lot nicer to use.
Sure, the Asus 1201N does look nice. (for an Atom powered one, otherwise a CULV model would be on the cards for the extra power).

My biggest issue with the smaller 10" netbooks is the smaller keyboard, something which the 12" models don't tend to suffer from.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The WLAN adapters in netbooks are replaceable. I say buy the netbook you want and pay $25 to get a supported card.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
This is also my advice.

And mine would be.... get a Mac :D more durable than the magnesium or titanium bodies, the solid/robust/stiffer unibody aluminum frame design of the current MBP has been patented :D...just wait for the patent infringement lawsuits :)

Why, I already know and am used to the SunOS and SYSV userland? (I started with Solaris in the v8 days, and my home PC currently runs Solaris 10 U8 ).

My biggest issue with the smaller 10" netbooks is the smaller keyboard, something which the 12" models don't tend to suffer from.

Exactly, I don't even like the tactile feel of all the current rage of tightly spaced, smaller and smaller 'chicklet' flat keys kb, gone are the more curry, easier to type on kb keys :(. My old 1in thick 15in TiBook has a decent sized, with marginal, but 'real' friggin keys! kb.

G'Day,

I've been looking at getting a netbook for myself (due to going back to Uni, and don't want to carry a heavier laptop, since I'll be riding a bike to Uni).

PPS. Opensolaris WLAN info page is here: http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+laptop/wireless and http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+laptop/wireless_driver_compatible_list

ya know, all of the Macbook Pro line are just a hair under 1in thick(run one of 3 flavors of VM to get Solaris, kind of :p ), weight no more than about 1kilo more than any others being looked at in the 12in size...but the MBP 13in, is a 13.3in screen. . Anything smaller than that, I could not handle. You could get 5+hrs of use on the extended rt battery in the MBP. But don't know how long it would last video teleconferencing :D.

What happened to the days of Chewy trekking/backpacking a 20k load on his back for many kilometers @time? Any 12-13in laptop is going to be light enough for someone as strong as Chewy :p, plus you'll get a decent CPU/GPU combo, netbooks lag. Also get an optical drive, enough space to run 2.5in SSD SATA, when the price comes down, or if you only need a small amount of storage, remove the HD for backup.

Any 12-13in laptop, it's going to be more responsive and allow multi OS running, netbooks are kind of weak. 12-13in is small enough to fit into any backpack. For cycling, U will need a Camelbak or similar hydration pack for which any of the larger sizes can store/carry a laptop. I've seen people (ok it was in the law library, stinking rich kids, ya don't need that much real estate for law school) using 17in MBPs on campus.

For Uni, any library should have power outlets available, so in theory if you can get to one, you don't need a backup battery, or extend rt of a energy conserving, low power, slow CPU, netbook.

Stereodude

Not really a
And mine would be.... get a Mac :D more durable than the magnesium or titanium bodies, the unibody aluminum frame design of the current MBP has been patented :D...just wait for the patent infringement lawsuits :)
Can you please point out the Apple netbook you're suggesting him to buy?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
What happened to the days of Chewy trekking/backpacking a 20k load on his back for many kilometers @time?
Well, 2 kids that ate up anytime that I had for training to do that type of work.

And budget is a concern, since 99% of our ongoing income whilst doing the course will be government funded. (Trying to save as much $$$ before start of course in July).

BTW, I'm planning on riding one of these to Uni...

@Merc, thanks I'll might just get a Asus 1001HA (go for around AU$350, one of the cheapest ones available here in Oz, and just swap out the WLAN card).

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
First bike Chew? Can I ask what the course subject is?

Yep, first bike. The VMAX has a bigger engine than most 3door hatches, and to be honest my first car! But alas, I'll be sticking to a 250cc class until I get more experience on the road.

Have applied for a B.Eng (Software Engineering) and B.InfTech (Software Engineering) at QUT, UQ and Griffith Uni. Will find out what I can choose from on the 3rd June, when the Universities give out their offers. QUT is the preference to attend.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
You might also have better luck running a Linux distro rather than OpenSolaris.

Well, I got a Asus eeePC 1001HA, and after trying WinXP, OpenSolaris and Ubuntu on it, will stick with Ubuntu on it for the time being.

It came down to supported hardware from the respective kernels, and power management. I was getting:
1. 3.5hrs on battery using the default Asus installation of WinXP Home,
2. 5hrs on battery using OpenSolaris b134 beta. (2009.06 didn't work 100%). WLAN works using an Intel WLAN PCIe adapter, but LAN was flakey (and this is due to 3rd party driver). Everything else worked 100% including the webcam.
3. 5.5hrs on battery using Ubuntu 10.04. Everything worked out-of-the-box, except the WLAN adapter which just needed a config file created/added.

Admittedly haven't played with Linux for a while (about 2 yrs), and the first time using Ubuntu on a daily basis, and I have to give 2 thumbs up for Ubuntu 10.04 on the Asus netbook. My only pet-peeve with Ubuntu, is the separation of some packages into 'library' and 'development' components. (The former being the library file, and the latter being the *.h files used for development). It just makes tracking down the right packages a little harder.

PS. I'm running the normal Ubuntu distro, not the netbook remix.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Great testing, thanks Chewy.

Have you considered extending your masochism to validating Win 7 as well?

While not contributing any money whatsoever, we are happy to welcome the fruit of your labors. :salut:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Yep, first bike. The VMAX has a bigger engine than most 3door hatches, and to be honest my first car! But alas, I'll be sticking to a 250cc class until I get more experience on the road.

Have applied for a B.Eng (Software Engineering) and B.InfTech (Software Engineering) at QUT, UQ and Griffith Uni. Will find out what I can choose from on the 3rd June, when the Universities give out their offers. QUT is the preference to attend.

Nice. Here in the US I need to do a rider education course and that will cover as a physical riding test. Then it's straight to far more power than I can safely handle (tho it seems most fast bikes these days come with some sort of throttle mapping adjustment, to avoid smearing yourself along the roadway). I've been having fun riding ATVs here but they can't be used on the open road. Perhaps an enduro bike is what I should look for, good in the bush, yet OK at 65 MPH on the road.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Great testing, thanks Chewy.

Have you considered extending your masochism to validating Win 7 as well?

While not contributing any money whatsoever, we are happy to welcome the fruit of your labors. :salut:

Reading a few web reports, Win7 gets about the same runtime as Ubuntu providing NO anti-virus is installed. Installing AV will lose you about 10% runtime under a Win7 environment.

While I haven't confirmed that myself, it seems plausible.

Running Win7 on a HP 2140 netbook (very similar setup to the 1001HA), yields 4.5hrs runtime.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Nice. Here in the US I need to do a rider education course and that will cover as a physical riding test. Then it's straight to far more power than I can safely handle
We used to have that system here, but recently they re-worked the licensing scheme to help stop people killing themselves.

We now have 2 stages of licensing, R Class and RE Class. R Class is full unrestricted, while RE class you are limited to bike no larger than 660cc with a power to weight ratio of less than 151KW per tonne. You must hold an RE class license for a minimum of 12mths before you can get a R Class and must complete a riding test by an authorised tester to move up class rating.

I know Japan has a similar system as well, but with 3 stages. 250cc, 400cc and unrestricted.

Having the graduated license makes a lot of sense, especially on some of the supersport models. While they may only be 250cc or 500cc, they'll outrun most cars on the road due to the high power to weight ratios. Having that much power in the hands of even an experienced rider can lead to a not so nice ending.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Got accosted by some Vietnam vets selling MS (Multiple Sclerosis) raffle tickets with a Hog as the prize. Told the bloke "No thanks, I'm too stupid to ride a bike." Like any good salesman, he got me talking, so I bought a ticket. Told him I had an RZ 250 in my early 20's, and the fourth or fifth time I fell off it, I fixed it and sold it. I also said apart from being too stupid to ride, I couldn't take a hint. He told me to sell the bike if I won...