Network Temperature Sensors

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a few places where attaching a thermometer to my network would be useful. Logging to a text file would be fine, an integrated web server could be interesting. POE is a practical must.

A. The server room could use 3
B. Many equipment cabinets could use 2 (inside and out)
C. My house could use 5 (3 indoor, 2 outdoor) for a tricky thermostat configuration ;)

This is the company that I found who offers a corporate solution. But it is a bit expensive.

Anything else? If I can't find something cheaper I might just get some that log high/low internally and review the data by going out into the field. I'd rather not.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have a few places where attaching a thermometer to my network would be useful. Logging to a text file would be fine, an integrated web server could be interesting. POE is a practical must.

C. My house could use 5 (3 indoor, 2 outdoor) for a tricky thermostat configuration ;)

Did you have the central AC fixed, or are you doing something goofy? :)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
PointSix 802.11b - battery lasts 1 year with temperature updates every 6 minutes.

Sengenuity battery-less multiple sensors - really, no batteries or wires.

Powercast offers much the same, but on a grander scale that Tesla might almost have been proud of.

Omega offers a sensor with an onboard web server, the zED-T, for $95. Needs mains power, but they have battery-operated sensors that can connect to a "Coordinator" as well.

For more vendors, try TempSensorNEWS

ddrueding

Fixture
Did you have the central AC fixed, or are you doing something goofy? :)

I am doing several goofy (and a few sane) things. I'm having hardware failures in equipment cabinets in the middle of nowhere and I'd like more information about what the cabinet is going through.

For the goofy, I'd like to put in a computer controlled multi-zone HVAC system for my 1400sqft 3 bedroom house. Including attic fan control, scheduling, and possibly occupancy measurements, rain sensors, future weather forecast predictions, automated blinds and/or windows. ;)

PointSix 802.11b - battery lasts 1 year with temperature updates every 6 minutes.

Sengenuity battery-less multiple sensors - really, no batteries or wires.

Powercast offers much the same, but on a grander scale that Tesla might almost have been proud of.

Omega offers a sensor with an onboard web server, the zED-T, for $95. Needs mains power, but they have battery-operated sensors that can connect to a "Coordinator" as well.

For more vendors, try TempSensorNEWS

Thank you time! That is a great list of options.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
For the goofy, I'd like to put in a computer controlled multi-zone HVAC system for my 1400sqft 3 bedroom house. Including attic fan control, scheduling, and possibly occupancy measurements, rain sensors, future weather forecast predictions, automated blinds and/or windows. ;)

Just get a 3 ton unit and a good controller. That should be more than enough.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Does it have to be native ethernet? Seems to me that there should be a metric assload of RS232-based process control stuff out there that can do what you want.

ddrueding

Fixture
It's the network devices that are failing, correct? If you cool the ambient then the devices will be cooler, or am I missing something?

Not always. Sometimes it is a hard drive, UPS, router, PoE injector or camera. The enclosures themselves and any climate control they require is the responsibility of others, and I want to be able to hold them accountable. I need to be able to state that the recorded temps are the ambient in the enclosure. Ideally, I'll be able to tell them the outside as well.

Edit: The cheap solution is something like this.

Sol

Storage is cool
You could point a PoE webcam at a thermometer and have it take periodic snapshots. Kind of stupid and harder to check but it could well be cheaper...

ddrueding

Fixture
Does it have to be native ethernet? Seems to me that there should be a metric assload of RS232-based process control stuff out there that can do what you want.

Indeed. I was reading somewhere recently about mega cheap tiny linux PCs that were powered off USB or something. Might be cheaper just to connect some sensors to one of those.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Arduino stuff comes up all the time in relation to Maker-type off-the-wall projects. It might be worthwhile to sit down and figure out the code yourself if your needs aren't pressing.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Just get a 3 ton unit and a good controller. That should be more than enough.

3 Ton is too big for a 1,400 sq ft. house, even in a relatively hot climate. It will short cycle which causes it to run inefficently and not effectively dehumidfy the house, either. My new 3 Ton is just about right for my 2,100sq. ft house even on 100F degree days.. If your house is tight and well insulated, you can go even smaller on your AC unit.

Agree on a good controller though. The Bryant Evolution or Carrier equivalent (they are the same company) have options for remote temp. sensors and zoned heating/cooling control as well.

ddrueding

Fixture
The climate here is very mild, and the house is incredibly well insulated and very air-tight. Here is what the Trane zone calculator said for my place:

Average days per year above 75: 0
Average days per year below 40: 0
Average high temperature: 72.7
Average low temperature: 49.4

ddrueding

Fixture
Because of that, I don't feel that a particularly efficient unit or configuration will ever really pay for itself. Even using electric space heaters, our annual heating costs are ~$1200. Even if the new unit cut that in half, it would take thirty years to pay for an $18k unit.

Handruin

Administrator
Nice.

Ardunio UNO - $25
Ardunio Ethernet Shield - $40
PoE Adapter - $22
6x LM35 temperature sensors - $6

Plus wire, some soldering, and some programming.

So $100 plus whatever it takes to get someone to write the relevant code? That sounds very tempting...

Arduino stuff comes up all the time in relation to Maker-type off-the-wall projects. It might be worthwhile to sit down and figure out the code yourself if your needs aren't pressing.

I've been wanting to start an Arduino project for watering my tomatoes next season. I'll offer to help if you want any with the coding. It would be best to write down and outline the use cases that this device will cover so that any code you or someone else writes is clearly defined.