Network utilization when copying files on a server

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey gang,
My old PC acts as a basic file server, running WinXP (too lazy to switch it to something decent). My new computer is also running WinXP. Some large downloads on the old machine finished up, and I did a cut/past from one folder to another on the same hard drive on the "server." Network utilization on both PCs is >50%, and frequently up to 99%. Why? To do that command does the data have to be routed from the server hard drive to my system then back to the server hard drive?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Windows is HORRIBLE about copying files, particularly anything that is not trivial, either by virtual of large size or by virtue of number of files. What you are seeing is not unusual and it is completely pathetic and one of the reasons I <3 my Linux boxes.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yes. This data is going from your server, to your workstation, and back to the server. If you use remote desktop to the server and perform the copy locally you will get better results.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I <3 my Linux boxes.
For a long while I just stared at this notation...but I'm starting to think that maybe this is Mercutio's attempt to use a heart symbol, but I can't believe he would stoop to using the language of an 8 year old girl.

Sol

Storage is cool
The <3 thing is a pretty common way to do a heart... It's fairly sickening for several reasons, firstly because "hearting" things is such a wanky, teenage girl, crappy t-shirt, thing in the first place... Secondly because the world just didn't need more emoticons... Actually it didn't need any, ever... And finally because <3 means less than 3 which is a pretty average score out of 5 and a crappy score out of anything else so it's actual meaning is kind of opposite to it's new language 2.0 meaning...

ddrueding

Fixture
<3-ing people would certainly be childish, but I think it is the perfect expression of the emotion one would feel towards their linux boxen...

Adcadet

Storage Freak
<3-ing people would certainly be childish, but I think it is the perfect expression of the emotion one would feel towards their linux boxen...

No no no no. "linux boxen" and "<3-ing" should not be in the same post. What are we now, 13 year old girl wanna be hackers?