Networking problem

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a PC with two network cards in it. One card is a TokenRing card at 16Mb/sec. The other card is a 3Com Ethernet card at 100Mb/sec. There are times when I move large files to and from another PC with both a TokenRing and Ethernet card.

Is there a way to force the operating system (Win2000 Pro, SP2) to use the much faster Ethernet card?

Thanks,

Bozo :D

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It would probably help to know more about your network, Bozo. What other machines are connected? How?

(Not that I am a likely prospect to give you an answer - just that I suspect that the networking gurus here will need to know this.)

Handruin

Administrator
Bozo said:
I have a PC with two network cards in it. One card is a TokenRing card at 16Mb/sec. The other card is a 3Com Ethernet card at 100Mb/sec. There are times when I move large files to and from another PC with both a TokenRing and Ethernet card.

Is there a way to force the operating system (Win2000 Pro, SP2) to use the much faster Ethernet card?

Thanks,

I'm not 100% sure if this will work, but try this:

1- right click on network neighborhood and go to properties.
2- At the top of the window, you will have file, edit, view...etc. Look for advanced.
3- I believe there is an advanced settings under the advanced menu.

In here you can specify your adapter binding order and other settings. I don't have windows 2K in front of me at the moment, but this should get you cose to the area you need to be. I believe what you want to do is adjust the order W2K sees your network cards. Put your 100Mb card on the top in the bindings. I'll have to look it up at work and write back because I don't recall the actual setting.

I'll write back soon,

Doug

James

Storage is cool
QoS would need something to tag the packets with QoS information. The service on the PC side is only a QoS tag reader, not a writer.

Yes, I need more info on your setup. Are the two cards connected into the same network, same IP block (or what are you using for transport)?

You may be able to stuff around with ARP to get the result you require.

Handruin

Administrator
Handruin said:
Bozo said:

Thanks,

I'm not 100% sure if this will work, but try this:

1- right click on network neighborhood and go to properties.
2- At the top of the window, you will have file, edit, view...etc. Look for advanced.
3- I believe there is an advanced settings under the advanced menu.

In here you can specify your adapter binding order and other settings. I don't have windows 2K in front of me at the moment, but this should get you cose to the area you need to be. I believe what you want to do is adjust the order W2K sees your network cards. Put your 100Mb card on the top in the bindings. I'll have to look it up at work and write back because I don't recall the actual setting.

I'll write back soon,

Doug

This is the section I was thinking of. You will see both your adapters listed with the names you entered for each adapter.

The advanced box should look similar to this except you should see two, possibly three adapters listed in the top box. You see in the image I have public listed on top? (I named my card public because I had two cards in this machine at one time) If you select the 100 Mb that should be used first, and then click the up arrow to move it to the top for higher priority, this may solve your problem.

Depending on how the network is setup, it could be as simple as this.

netsetting1.jpg

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin: That fixed my problem :)

I had seen that menu when searching for a solution but did not want to try it on a 'live' system. [ I also didn't fully understand what I would be changing.] Setting up a test PC and network proved it. The live system is now set up with the Ethernet as the first network card.

Although Win2k doesn't ask for it, I rebooted the PC after making the change.

[The Ethernet and Token-Ring networks are two independant systems. Some PCs and servers are connected to both, other PCs and servers just to one or the other. The Token-Ring is slowly being replaced by the Ethernet.

Thanks