New betas of Mandrake and Red Hat released

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
For those interested, two of the most important players of the Linux world have released new betas this week. Red Hat 9.0.93 (Severn) can be downloaded from here, while Mandrake 9.2 beta 1 is available there.

Servers are very busy for both (especially Mandrake's), so expect delays while trying to download the ISOs.

I have successfully downloaded both, but I haven't tried any since I removed my sole burner from my main box, waiting to be installed in my future main rig early next week.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I tried knoppix on a fe machines in the last week or so.. works great every time.

1) pIII 650 on 440BX chipset, linskys NIC, onboard Ensoniq/creative sound, USB smart media reader... matrox g400..everything worked! ..few slowdowns during boot...

2) pentium4-M Laptop, radeon gfx, wifi card, sound... everything worked except battery life meter. That was impressive.

3)Celeron 466 on i810 w/ onboard sound and either onboard or commodity NIC. Worked perfectly.

I'm surprised at how well everything works right out of the box. It's cool to be able to run things like The GIMP or Apache from a CD installation of Linux.

I am going to wait till mandrake/redhat has created a new final version before messing with anything. I've been wanting to test out redhat's latest offerings anyway. This gives me an excuse.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
why am I using Windows again?

snapshot1%20(WinCE).png

snapshot2%20(WinCE).png

snapshot3%20(WinCE).png

snapshot4%20(WinCE).png

snapshot5%20(WinCE).png

snapshot6%20(WinCE).png

snapshot0%20(WinCE).png

snapshot7%20(WinCE).png

snapshot8%20(WinCE).png

snapshot9%20(WinCE).png

snapshot10%20(WinCE).png

Full size pics available here.

*I thought throwing in winfile would be a nice touch.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
yes, this is the famed knoppix that Coug has pushed so hard.

so i didn't even have to install linux to get this working... just pop a CD in the drive.. turn on the computer, mount the HDD as read/write(mount /dev/hda1) and navigate to my adobe/ms word/whatever installation directory and run the .exe files with Wine.

For wine i simply told it to use win98 (over win95) emulation and left the rest as defaults. photoshop(photoshop said i could use a bigger swap.. 2GB!) and word openned and worked flawlessly

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
blakerwry said:
yes, this is the famed knoppix that Coug has pushed so hard.
I pushed what? Me think you are mistaken me for someone else. Never tried Knoppix myself. Hard to push when never tried. Next things I'll push will probably be Amiga OS or Mac OS-X, both of which I have never tried.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
honold pushed it quite a bit. I've used it a few times as well. Knoppix is a really slick product.

SuSE 8.2 is fairly impressive as well.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
looknig back, it was howell that I remember specifically recomending it here for troubleshooting.. i think newton also mentioned it, as did someone else... on this board atleast...

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
looknig back, it was howell that I remember specifically recomending it here for troubleshooting.. i think newton also mentioned it, as did someone else... on this board atleast...

Must have been one of my theoretical flashes of brilliance or maybe a flash of theoretical brilliance as I've never downloaded Knoppix. Sounds like you found a winner though.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
is anybody else impressed with the ability to run photoshop and office in linux?

what other applications do you require that are windows only? (i haven't used IE for months accept for testing)

SteveC

Storage is cool
blakerwry said:
what other applications do you require that are windows only? (i haven't used IE for months accept for testing)

VirtualDub, TMPGEnc, ATI's MMC, Flight Sim 2004.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
huh, i was thinking Vdub was linux as well as windows... guess it's just open source win32 only....

I can do without ATi's MMC mainly because i get shit on by ATi because I have a TV wonder and not an All-in-wonder card.

I don't mess wiht .mpg files anymore and haven't used tmpeg in over a year.. I could do without... never played flight simulator 2004.. last time i played flight simulator was when it ran in either DOS or win3.1