New Case from Antec

Handruin

Administrator
Nice looking case. It looks like the hard drive tray is rotated 90 degrees based on a typical case.

The plastic fronts on both my Antec cases are fine...what problems have you had with them blake? I find them to be sturdy enough to take withstand normal operation and occasional disassembly.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Antec's case not sturdy? Now, now, now. If someone here is qualified to judge the sturdiness of enclosures, it's me. I have years of experience in hammering and kicking enclosures to back up my sayings. I think that makes me some kind of an autority on the matter. Unless someone here is more insane than I am, arguing on this subject is futile. And Antec's cases, at least their Performance, Performance Plus and Performance II models, aren't flimsy or fragile. Their Solution series is another story, but judging the whole Antec lineup by their most budget-minded models isn't fair.

Antec's cases aren't cheaply made, period.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Coug-
I meant when is that new form factor for motherboards/cases coming.....

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
4 internal bays is not enough, they should have stuck with the six in the 1080 Series. Unless it can fit 6 drives but they recommend spacing out to 4?

Urgh never mind, just looked at the inside pic. Can't take an extended ATX, yuck!

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Im going by the 3700AMB.. the metal parts are very thick and sturdy... the front plastic bezel is cheap and was designed poorly. There are several failure points in this design. Infact, I got my case directly from the factory (drop ship) and the front bezel was broken in 4 places.

I've also noticed that the front USB design is also poor and easily bends out of place so that it does not match up with the front bezel.

Going from other cases I've worked with I can see that the front bezel design is poor and the quality of the plastic is middling. I believe the lanboy uses a similar design and quality plastic on the front.. can't remember for sure...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
blakerwry said:
I'm going by the 3700AMB...
The SLK3700AMB is part of the Solution serie. The model Clocker linked is part of a higher-end serie and shouldn't suffer from the flaws common to the Solution series.

blakerwry said:
I believe the Lanboy uses a similar design and quality plastic on the front.. can't remember for sure...
Yes, it is. In fact, it's worst since it's made of aluminum while the metal isn't thicker, so the case is in fact structurally weaker than the SLK3700AMB. Performance series are built with 1.0mm thick metal (the steel ones, the aluminum model is 1.2mm) and aren't flimsy. As for their plastic, well, my hammer didn't pass through it on the first hit.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Re-tinking about it, the Lanboy shares the same design as the SLK2600AMB, not the 3700AMB. But yes, it is just as thin.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
yes, the 2600AMB plastic is crap too... so.. we have crap.. crap.. and more crap.... and then there is the solutions series, of which is just a copy of somebody elses that we can get cheaper....

atleast Antec makes good PSU's...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
blakerwry said:
yes, the 2600AMB plastic is crap too... so.. we have crap.. crap.. and more crap.... and then there is the solutions series, of which is just a copy of somebody elses that we can get cheaper....
Do you know how to read?

There is no crap in Antec's lineup except perhaps if you compare their Solution series (and derivated LanBoy model) to higher-end models from other manufacturers. Their Performance series, all four of them, are excellent cases. If you tell me that the Performance series is crap, you're out in the banks.

Damn do people only listen to what they want to ear?!

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Antec cases are excellent quality in my opinion. They are well designed and sturdy. Nothing cheap about them except the price.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
CougTek said:
blakerwry said:
Do you know how to read?

There is no crap in Antec's lineup except perhaps if you compare their Solution series (and derivated LanBoy model) to higher-end models from other manufacturers. Their Performance series, all four of them, are excellent cases. If you tell me that the Performance series is crap, you're out in the banks.

Damn do people only listen to what they want to ear?!
crap = 2600AMB
crap = 3700AMB
crap = lanboy (aparently)

I'm comparing these to similarly or lower priced cases. Like I said, they have very sturdy metal parts, the cases I have worked with are large and have mobo mounts exactly where I need them. Overall they are designed pretty well if not very well for the most part. However, I am totally dissatisfied with the front bezels on these solutions series cases. I've seen better from $20 cases.