New Cooler Master CP5-6J31C, anyone tried it?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Here it is : http://www.coolermaster.com/products/cpucooler/fcpga/cp5-6j31c.html

cp5-6j31c.jpg

It looks good and it's certified up to 2600+ rating. Although I would have prefered a clip that can be installed without a screw, it must be better than average if it's anything like most of the other CoolerMaster units. At 33dBa, it shouldn't be too annoying either. All in all, looks like a winner. Only thing I don't like is the thermal pad, but that's a minor point since most modern heatsinks come with one anyway.

Has anyone tried it yet? Dan's Data hasn't review it yet, so I don't know if it's better or worst than the Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu I use currently as my default heatsink.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I like the Coolermaster heatsinks myself, but I haven't tried this one. I still use the DP5-7H53F. I like the clip mechanism better.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
grrr. edit:

have you considered other HSF's? i prefer Thermaltake's Volcano 7+. it fits sockets 370, 478 and A, has a variable speed fan and the price (here in Oz) is very good, especially for a copper heatsink unit.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Jake, have you considered the price of the Volcano 6Cu vs Volcano 7+? Here, the former cost 18$CDN and the latter 45$CDN. I simply cannot put a heatsink in my maintream boxes that cost half of the price of an Athlon XP 1600+ (96$CDN here) in order to remain competitve with the competition. If I were to build a box for a tweaker, then yes, maybe. But people who want something like a Volcano 7+ usually build their computers themselves, so there's no point. My price summit for a mainstream cooler is 25$CDN, maybe 30$CDN is the heatsink represents an exceptional value. 45$CDN is way out of my price allowance.

But yeah, I admit the Volcano 7+ is a very good heatsink and a great value for overclockers, but not for a mainstream, non-overclocked box.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
If you have a look at DansData cooler comparison which has IMO a rather well researched, repeatable methodology, you will see that the Volcano 7, 8 & 9's score no better than the 6Cu.

What people tend to forget is that while copper can absorb more heat than aluminium by volume, heat is carried away form the heat source more efficiently by aluminium than copper. The purpose of a heatsink is twofold, absorb the heat and dissipate it. Good thermal conductivity (aluminium) is essential. Copper has the marketing and mindshare - that doesn't make it intrinsically better.

Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu until something significantly better comes along...

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
LiamC said:
What people tend to forget is that while copper can absorb more heat than aluminium by volume, heat is carried away form the heat source more efficiently by aluminium than copper. The purpose of a heatsink is twofold, absorb the heat and dissipate it. Good thermal conductivity (aluminium) is essential. Copper has the marketing and mindshare - that doesn't make it intrinsically better.

The thermal conductivity of copper is higher, so it also dissipates heat better than aluminum, all other things beings equal. That is wherein the difference lies. Since copper is much heavier than aluminum, copper heatsinks are generally smaller than aluminum heatsinks for the same processor in order to keep the weight within certain limits. Although the superior thermal conductivity of the copper can partially compensate for this, the overall smaller size necessary for the copper heatsink gives rise to the myth that aluminum dissipates heat better than copper. It doesn't. I made liquid heat sinks for thermoelectric modules of the same size and design from both materials, and the copper ones were almost 50% better. Copper absorbs heat better than aluminum because its density is higher, hence more mass to heat. Heat absorption only matters in heat sink design in case the fan fails. A higher heat absorption can give you a few minutes more until the CPU dies from overheating, but other than that, there is no benefit.

The end result of all this is that aluminum heatsinks are indeed better than copper ones unless the copper ones can be made the same size(and number of fins). In that case, the copper heat sink will be better by 25% to 50%, but the heavier weight may exceed the limits that the heat sink attachment mechanism can handle. So we arrive at the same conclusion for different reasons.

Having read many heat sink reviews, I find most of the methodology in this area flawed. The only way to properly test a heat sink is to apply a fixed heat load to the base, and measure the temperature rise above ambient of the heat sink base directly under the heat source. Divide the temperature rise by the input heat load, and you get the heat sink's thermal resistance(the lower the better), which is the only true measure of it's effectiveness. For example, I recently tested a P4 heat sink which I was thinking of using to cool thermoelectric modules. At 50 watts heat load the temperature rise was 11.75° C above ambient temperature. Therefore, the thermal resistance was 0.235°C/watt. The heat sink was 83 mm x 70 mm with 27 fins of 30 mm height. By comparison, my copper liquid heat sink was 40 mm x 50 mm x 12.7 mm high, and had a thermal resistance of 0.02°C/W at 20 gph water flow.

One thing that should improve the efficiency of any existing heat sink by about 15% is to use a tip-magnetic fan. This will improve airflow to the center of the heat sink, where the heat load is, due to the smaller fan hub. Another way is to increase the number and/or height of the fins. However, past a certain point, the high density fins limit the airflow and efficiency begins to drop, so there is an inherent limit to how efficient a heat sink can be in a given size. Smoothness of the base plate is very important, as is contact pressure. The smaller the gap filled with relatively low conductivity thermal grease, the cooler the microprocessor. I typically make sure any heat sink I use for TE modules is smooth to within 0.0005 " in order to minimize the thermal losses at the interface.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Excellent post jtr1962!

Groltz, I can't buy a Thermalright in Aus in my usual haunts :(

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
CougTek said:
Jake, have you considered the price of the Volcano 6Cu vs Volcano 7+? Here, the former cost 18$CDN and the latter 45$CDN. I simply cannot put a heatsink in my maintream boxes that cost half of the price of an Athlon XP 1600+ (96$CDN here) in order to remain competitve with the competition. If I were to build a box for a tweaker, then yes, maybe. But people who want something like a Volcano 7+ usually build their computers themselves, so there's no point. My price summit for a mainstream cooler is 25$CDN, maybe 30$CDN is the heatsink represents an exceptional value. 45$CDN is way out of my price allowance..

wow, i didn't know they were so expensive over there. i can get them for AU$40 which is roughly US$21 or 34$CDN. In any case i wasn’t aware of your intended purpose for such heatsinks and it's obvious, as you pointed out, that they are not necessary for a mainstream box.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
jtr1962 said:
LiamC said:

The thermal conductivity of copper is higher, so it also dissipates heat better than aluminum, all other things beings equal. That is wherein the difference lies.

There is nothing inherent in the different metals that helps them dissipate heat better or worse. The heat dissipation is governed by the density of the air, the mass flow rate and area which the air passes by.

Heat energy will only transfer toward cold. If the thermal resistance of a sink is high then the heat will build up right next to the core until no heat transfer takes place. The advantage of CU over AL is that the low thermal resistance helps carry the heat away from the source to the fins quicker. The lower the temperature next to the core; the more heat energy transfers from the core to the sink. Ala, peltier.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Cliptin said:
There is nothing inherent in the different metals that helps them dissipate heat better or worse. The heat dissipation is governed by the density of the air, the mass flow rate and area which the air passes by.

Heat energy will only transfer toward cold. If the thermal resistance of a sink is high then the heat will build up right next to the core until no heat transfer takes place. The advantage of CU over AL is that the low thermal resistance helps carry the heat away from the source to the fins quicker. The lower the temperature next to the core; the more heat energy transfers from the core to the sink. Ala, peltier.

Actually, the higher thermal conductivity of CU will mean that for a given heat flow rate(and air flow rate), the temperature of the bottoms of the fins will be lower than for equivalent sized AL fins, which in turn will keep the heat sink base cooler. Just a more roundabout way of saying what you just said. :)

The thermal conductivity of the metal comes into play as air flow rates increase. At some point you reach the limit of conductivity of the metal regardless of how fast the air is flowing. For my P4 aluminum heat sink I calculated this at roughly 0.075°C/W for a heat source occupying the whole base of the heat sink, and the ends of the fins at ambient temperature. In practice, an air-cooled heat sink will never approach these limits due to having a smaller heat source and a limited air flow rate. Incidentally, for my CU liquid heat sink, it is primarily the thermal conductivity of the metal that limits the performance since the cooling water carries away the heat load with only a very small temperature rise(meaning the portion of the liquid heat sink in direct contact with the water is for all intents and purposes at the water temperature).

The heat sinks that use a CU base and AL fins(assuming they are mated with great precision to minimize losses at the interface between them) represent the best of both worlds since the CU base can spread the heat load more evenly to all of the fins than an equivalent sized AL base. This in turn will tend to make the center fins cooler, the outer ones warmer(thus making them dissipate more heat), and the heat source on balance cooler than before.