New Detonator driver (29.42) available.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
They work fine so far. They are WHQL certified by the way.

SYROB

What is this storage?
Unlike the Catalyst junk from ATI, these drivers worked on my two other systems with no issues, no crazy delete old drivers, edit the registry and count to 13 while standing only on your left foot requirements....

Nvidia thumbs up, ATI thumbs down..

SYROB

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
WTF are you talking about?

I just deleted the old drivers with Add/Remove programs, installed the new drivers with the installer and that's it. No registery editing or balancing acts required...

The root of your problem may have been you were using the wrong drivers (WinXP) when you should have downloaded the Win2K drivers.....which is your fault, not ATi's...

C

SYROB

What is this storage?
Dear Clocker,

I did three computer with the ATI drivers, The one I originally tried the wrong driver ended up being the easiest as all I had to do was get the right driver (after removing the old) and install. Did not need DVD or other on this work computer so did not have to install.

Two other computers BIG pain.

2.) This computer turned out to have a Radeon 7000 which turned out to be a Power Color card. Drivers will not setup properly, even when trying the powered by and not built by ATI.

(Why all these different sets unlike Nvidia only one major set for each group.)

3.) Radeon 8500, Driver install OK but DVD asks for original Install disk, (which auto played on me even after pressing shift when loading, (do not want old DVD software from disk)). Loaded software, then had to do the upgrade, and again for the Media center.

Why not a more streamlined set of ATI drivers, why not just one multimedia set of software, why do we need to go 7.7 --> 7.7, why do the pdf notes look like a joke compared to Nvidia, why the dumb DVD disk part number trick. Why do you even have to uninstall old ??

I used to be a big fan of ATI for the DVD playback, now with more powerful CPU's it does not matter anymore. No longer any strong reason to get ATI for me.

Matrox or Nvidia, at least for me, less of a pain. And if I need video editing then the Mickey Mouse AIW does not do the trick, RT 2500 much better (but more money).

SYROB

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
SYROB-

I was not aware of the extent of your experience using the new drivers as I only heard about your problems in the other Catalyst thread. With the additional information you provided, it is ovbious that your experience with mutiple cards (and OSs) using the Catalyst series is greater than mine (one install in an SMP WinX system).

Sorry if I came across the wrong way, but, I thought you were basing your decision based on only one bad experience but not it is obvious you are not.

Thanks for providing your valuable experiences with the drivers. I agree that the nVidia drivers are much more streamlined to upgrade. Hopefully, ATi will get better as they have promised....

C

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
If they were really the wrong drivers, surely (had they been competently written in the first place) they should have refused to install? Or at least thrown up a prominent warning message.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
If they were really the wrong drivers, surely (had they been competently written in the first place) they should have refused to install? Or at least thrown up a prominent warning message.

Yepper!

SYROB

What is this storage?
Nope, just severe inf error message,

Looked like the old drivers installed instead of the new, but the new ATI control panel went in . On reboot, the old drivers "stayed" Control panel started and then aborted. Catalyst setup on two different computers gave the INF error message and then proceeded to set up as if nothing was wrong.

SYROB

SYROB

What is this storage?
But the wrong (old) drivers were installed.

I would expect a more detailed error message like you have the wrong OS or this card is not made by ATI but by the cheap second tier China men. (who we (i.e. ATI) will never provide the full multimedia suite for BTW))

Very unprofessional.

SYROB

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The full mulitimedia suite? Are you talking about the MMC 7.6 which is only available for the AIW series of cards?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
SYROB said:
Nope, just severe inf error message,

Looked like the old drivers installed instead of the new, but the new ATI control panel went in . On reboot, the old drivers "stayed" Control panel started and then aborted.
I used to get that sort of problem with early Riva 128 drivers. Is that any indication of how far behind ATI is? :lol:

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'll wait for the ASUS ones. I think ASUS (and other big brands) tweak the drivers according to their specificate hardware.

SYROB

What is this storage?
"The full mulitimedia suite? Are you talking about the MMC 7.6 which is only available for the AIW series of cards?"

The MMC is for all their Radeon cards ! ! Only the tuner section is not avaialble: i.e. the tuner is only on the AIW series as well as some record festures only some of the other cards may support.

My Radeon VI/VO supports recording but no tuner...

SYROB

SYROB

What is this storage?
My friend just tried to upgrade his Radeon 7500 AIW to the new Catalyst drivers over the week end. WinXP Pro on an ASUS Pent4.

He did not unload any old drivers or the other old ATI software (mistake !). Ran the driver install and all seemed OK until reboot, Blue screen with STOP error, he played around with it for a while (would not go into safe mode).

Don't know the exact details of what he did but he did try last known and all F8 options and booting off CDROM and going into command console etc. He ended up having to reinstall WinXP because he could not complete boot...

This is no joke, he made an error by not uninstalling but ATI should have prevented disaster...

Plus !! he spent all weekend trying to get the dam drivers off the ATI web site in the first place, SUPER SLOW on cable modem and would abort partway through often...

(Nvidia == SUPER FAST download)

Dear ATI,

1.) have some kids in the local computer shop build you some servers....

2.) and while you are at, it get some programmers that know what they are doing !!

I feel bad because I told him about the new drivers the day they came out...

ATI = Abominable, Terrible, Incompetent...

ATI = Awesome, Terrific, Innovative ... NOT

Catalyst = Catastrophic

Uhhr...

SYROB
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I have had many problems with ATI recently also. I spent 4 hours one day trying to get a Radeon VE to work. Then I put a Geforce2 in and it worked immediately.

Took the Geforce back out after 2 days and put in the Radeon again and it worked perfectly. Go figure...ATI really needs to work on their drivers.