New NForce Drivers

time

Storage? I am Storage!
With a WD800JB drive, my Business Disk Winmark 99 score went from 12600 to 22200.

nVidia rocks! :joker:

Unfortunately, High-end Disk Winmark went from 38500 to just 39600, which is within the 3% margin of error. :lol:

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Even newer 2.42's released today.

Version 2.42
Release Date: May 22, 2003

International
File Size: 24.9 MB
WHQL Certified

Release Notes
  • May 22 update: removed nForce IDE driver in the 2.42 kit
  • WHQL certified kit for nForce and nForce2
  • Includes support for nForce2 400 and nForce2 Ultra 400
  • Update audio performance fixes for EAX supported games
  • Update audio control panel

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Sort of OT, I finally got the 200GB JB from Dell (shipped direct fron NJ). Slipped in the Promiseless controller (after finding a precious 4-pin power connector -mental note that 7 connectors are definitely not enough). Wierd thing is that cpu util according to Task Mangler is rather high, in the 20s-40%s if I am copying two or more directories to it. When I check Device Mangler it won't let me tick the advanced performance option in 2003 Server (I guess because it sees the Promiseless as a SCSI controller?). Oh well all that storage for such a cheap price, it couldn't be passed. Now I just need more PSU extensions so I can plug the 45 GB deathstar back in and the 800BB that has sat on the shelf for many months.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
2.41 and 2.42 nForce drivers withdrawn from Nvidia's website

FWIW, the ftp directories are empty and official website driver download page takes you to the 2.03 drivers.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Groltz,

Apparently, there are some problems when the 2.4x are installed above the previous versions of the driver without uninstalling the old version.

Saw it there.

There's a .zip on nVidia's site explaining the recovery process in case you screwed up your system with the 2.4x driver.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I did not have a problem with the 2.41's except that my CDRW (secondary slave) no longer functioned with RW. Burnt CDR's OK though. Connected CDRW (Liteon 321240S) to a Promise Ultra 100 and the functionality restored... Might go back to the 2.03's...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Just installed the new 4.0.1.0 version of InCD. It seems to be something of a rewrite, and already feels more solid than version 3 (faster etc).

Under Windows 2000, I no longer have any problems when InCD is combined with the nForce 2.41 (IDE included) drivers. So I recommend people try the IDE driver - it's one of the key advantages over KT400.

Maybe someone should tell nVidia that their 2.41 driver is okay after all ...

e_dawg

Storage Freak
How do you get the nForce unified driver pack to install the IDE drivers? I have run the installer numerous times; every time after it finishes (and reboots), I check my Device Manager: it always shows Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controller (built-in MS drivers).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry e_dawg, it only works with nForce 2. The install option doesn't even appear with nForce 1. :(

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Uninstall the old nForce driver set before attempting to install 2.41 (not 2.42 or 2.03). If that fails, try following the uninstall procedure that nVidia has posted with their driver download. I had problems earlier, trying to get rid of older driver sets.

It is asking you if you want to install the IDE driver, isn't it?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Apparently, there are problems with the nVidia IDE drivers... they yanked them for the 2.42 set after some problems with IDE in the 2.41 set. I downloaded unofficial MSI-sourced 2.78 drivers recently; maybe I'll try those.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Reading through a forum devoted to the subject, I don't believe 2.41 is a problem for most people.

However, some users do seem to have had trouble, perhaps with XP rather than 2000, or maybe they just had incomplete uninstalls of previous driver versions?

I don't mean to alarm you, but a couple of weeks ago I installed the drivers that came on an Epox 8RDA+ CD under Windows XP (very possibly '2.78' - the OEM version numbers seem different). I had already installed the version of InCD that came with the CD-RW drive.

I was rewarded with a nice BSOD when Windows restarted.

I was onsite, it took long enough to persuade everything to behave again anyway, and Ahead had not yet published their 'fixed' version of InCD, so I downloaded 2.03 and left it at that.

But 2.41 has been running flawlessly here on Win2000 since its release.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Well, the fact that nVidia don't even post the 2.41 drivers on their website leads me to believe that they are not too confident in their own drivers... which is disappointing, considering that I fled the Purveyors of Dodgy Southbridges and Buggy Drivers (aka VIA) for this...

SteveC

Storage is cool
SteveC said:
I also have been using the 2.41 drivers without any problems.

I take that back. My PC locked up a few times when burning CDs. I went back to the 2.03 drivers, and the problem went away.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Version 2.45 was released a couple of days ago. It doesn't include the IDE drivers in it.

Release Notes

* WHQL certified kit for nForce and nForce2 (NOTE: the graphics drivers in the English only kit is not WHQL certified. However, it is the same driver version as the international kit)
* Includes support for nForce2 400 and nForce2 Ultra 400
* EAX fixes and compatibility improvements in
o Operation Flashpoint
o Neverwinter Nights
o The Matrix Reloaded
o Grand Theft Auto: ViceCity
o Mafia
o Battlefield 1942
* Updated audio control panel
* 3D audio performance improvements
* NOTE: NVIDIA accelerated IDE drivers are not included in this release.