New toys

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Personally I would... Papst isnt that great... NMB & Panaflo are better IMO.

Dorothy is so cheap (much cheaper than normal trade prices) that she supplies me with Panaflos to resell at computer shows along with the Zalman products and quiet-pc related stuff.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Those Papst 3412NL (92mm) are excellent - truckloads of air at a reasonable volume. :wink:

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Papst was great, until they shipped the manufacturing to Hungary. (or, at least so people say at SPCR)

There are few posts @SPCR that give out such an impression that even Panaflo fans are experiencing variations in quality nowadays.

Dorothy hand-picks the Panaflos (prolly other fans too), ensuring that the shipped ones are indeed quiet.

I'd buy some Panaflos (from Dorothy), but they lack the RPM monitoring. Whereas this makes little use in case fans, there are situations where RPM monitoring would be beneficial.

Cheers,

Jan

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
I just bought a few Thermaltake 120mm fans which I plan to run at 7V. they should still be good for 40CFM and be virtually silent. they are going into my new case, an Aopen H700B.

H700BWEB.jpg

I have an Asetek Waterchill kit I want to place inside. I haven't decided whether to locate the rad & fan at the front and bottom or top and rear.

exp_h700_0.jpg
I'm open to ideas.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Cases can be expensive to ship. Jake, How/Where do you get rid of cases when you are through with them?

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
almost always I find a local buyer and I arrange for them to pick it up from my place of work. on the occasion that it's an interstate buyer, I always have the buyer arrange a courier from their end. Overclockers Australia has a very healthly PC parts exchange forum and because my sale prices are generally better than most and I have a good reputation as a seller, finding a local buyer is never a problem.

I just opened up the box with the case and am disappointed with the door. it's quite flimsy. the rest of the case is great but the flimsy door concerns me. I have to make sure that Seth, who's now 16 months old and into everything, can't get to the with CD & DVD drives. I don't know whether to mod the case heavily to make it childproof (is that possible?) or whether to return it.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
the door is lockable yes but the catch is down the bottom of the door. the door is so flimsy though that it flexes so much that the top of the door is an inch off it's seat, and with little effort. a decent pull will break it. I could put a lock with a catch up top I guess but I'm not sure it will do.

I wonder if there's a market for childproof cases :wink:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yes, there is. I moved one of my co-workers' PCs into an Antec case with a locking front (performance series IIRC) not too long ago.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Perhaps you could put the computer in a room which can be locked?

Either that or leather restraints....

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
After about 24h, I'm getting quite convinced that this system is stable. It's been running FAh and prime (not simultaneoulsy) all the time, without any issues.
Running this 2800 barton with 14*166 (~2333MHz).

Just started to wonder when the last time was that I noticed a difference in performance after changing/overclocking something in my computer... :)
Probably the time I switched to 15k rpm. So I'm either upgrading to often or...something else :mrgrn:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, after some ups and downs and waiting a month and a half for the first property to fall through, I closed on a different, better and cheaper property Wednesday. I started moving that day. :)

I don't really feel like a homeowner though. Even the mortgage payment is just like a big rent check right. I will probably feel it when either the tenant needs something fixed or I have to evict someone. Coincidentally, the current tenant's lease runs out in December and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to take them to court to recover for all the damage the've done.

And from another thread, yes It's a toss-up between what is going to be most cumbersome to move the books or the computer equipment.

Oh, and my boss is insane. I may be here for a while but he won't stop yelling at me and accusing me of things. It's so ubsurd it's a little amusing.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
My latest toy I just got yesterday. FedEx, of course, delivered it to a house with my street number but on a different street in my subdivision. Luckily, we were already used to that treatment from the US Post Office so I pretty much knew where the package was when the tracking info showed it as delivered but there was nothing on our porch.

When your boss yells at you, just look at him and smile. :D I'll make him wonder...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Howell said:
And from another thread, yes It's a toss-up between what is going to be most cumbersome to move the books or the computer equipment.

Books, unless you have lots of 21" monitors.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Fushigi said:
When your boss yells at you, just look at him and smile. :D I'll make him wonder...

I do and did. It sorta takes the air out when he keeps threatening to fire me for truely trival reasons and then the next day acts like nothing happened.