New way to erase hard drives

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
Nice! The fields necessary to impact the drive's media through the drive's chassis are immense! I seriously doubt that the drive is functional afterwards. All of the servo fields will have been randomized as well as the user data. In the context of this article though, that is a good thing.

Free

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
freeborn said:
The fields necessary to impact the drive's media through the drive's chassis are immense!
I'd guess the fields would be equivalent to that generated by an MRI machine (hence those warnings about not having any metal on one's body when one's being scanned). Nevertheless it's fun to imagine what would happen if one were to stick one's hand into this machine. Would the hand morp into something else as the haemoglobin molecules re-orient themselves? Fodder for Sci-Fi. The Morph Machine.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Considering that people survive the magnetic field of an MRI, I wouldn't be worried about sudden morphing in people....

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Hmmmmm..might be interesting to have one of these magnets and walk through a data center.....

Bozo

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I don't understand why the need for a specialty high-gause permanent magnet. Isn't it much easier and cheaper to produce high-gause magnetic fields with a high current slow cycling electro magnet? At least, with an electro-magnet, one can turn it off: who wants to carry around a 125 Lb permenant magnet and once near the metal case, how is one going to convienantly remove it.

Like in a cartoon -- I just visualize entering a resturant and watching all the flatware flying through the air towards me.

Sol

Storage is cool
P5-133XL said:
once near the metal case, how is one going to convienantly remove it.

I'm guessing that's China's problem...

P5-133XL said:
I just visualize entering a resturant and watching all the flatware flying through the air towards me

Whilst this is obviously unlikely to be a problem in a fighter or spyplane it does bring to mind an image of a fighter dropping a load of chaff to avoid a US missile only to have the whole lot stick to the persuing fighter... Still unlikely but perhaps more topically comedic...

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
sechs said:
Considering that people survive the magnetic field of an MRI, I wouldn't be worried about sudden morphing in people....
Mubs said:
it's fun to imagine what would happen if one were to stick one's hand into this machine. Would the hand morp into something else as the haemoglobin molecules re-orient themselves? Fodder for Sci-Fi. The Morph Machine.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Sol said:
it does bring to mind an image of a fighter dropping a load of chaff to avoid a US missile only to have the whole lot stick to the persuing fighter...

Hmmmm ... given that the material in question is aluminium, an entirely non-magnetic substance, it would indeed be unlikely!

LOST6200

Storage is cool
whY wouldf anyone want a 125 ton magnet in a jet frighter? Wouldt'n that slow down the handling, top spweed, altititudes, etc? Annd why aren"t flahs memory dirves or some decent encrypitation utilized by now?