New weapon in the terrorist arsenal. Exploding DELL's

Sol

Storage is cool
Is it just my Firefox setup or does everyones RSS feed have this threads topic shortened to "Computers :: New weapon in the terrorist arse..."?

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
Wow,

I bought myself an XPS gen2 back when the had the Geforce 2go 6800 ultra in them. Not sure when that was but within the last year. A month later I turned it on and went to the restroom. When I got back it smelled that lovely acrid smell of burned electronics and was, of course, a toasted brick.

Not as phenomenal a melt down as the one shown in the article but concerning none the less. I had purchased it through an EPP program with a 4 year next day service and accidental coverage so Dell built a new one. It turned out their next day guarantee is only if the thing is repairable though, they wanted my toasted notebook back and built a new one with the same specifications as the old one. I had upgraded the hard drive in the old one but it was undamaged so I put the original drive back in the toasted notebook for the return. All told I was out a notebook for 10 days. They did send me another back pack though, I guess when they rebuild an order they rebuild it completely.

Free

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Whay would someone rig the bnotebook to expode into flames? Was this is protect or act of the saabotage?

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Sol said:
Is it just my Firefox setup or does everyones RSS feed have this threads topic shortened to "Computers :: New weapon in the terrorist arse..."?

:mrgrn:

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
LOST6200 said:
Whay would someone rig the bnotebook to expode into flames? Was this is protect or act of the saabotage?

Wasn't rigged.

the Inquirer said:
Now you know what happens when Lithium gets a bit too energetic. Though I can not say for sure it appears that the built in cuttouts for the battery failed. Lithium Ion batteries are supposed to stop delivering power if the internal temperatures get to high. It looks like this one failed. The multiple explosions would likely be the individual batteries inside the battery pack igniting as there internal temperatures rose past there flash point. You can almost certainly expect that dell will be doing some battery recalls in the near future. When you buy the cheapest sometmes thats exactly what you get.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32583