New Zalman cooler proves to be very effective.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Xbit Labs reviewed the CNPS12X and, oh surprise, it's very, very good and relatively quiet. Quite a contrast with their previous circular designs. However, it costs 100$ and weights a kilogram, but you don't get that kind of cooling prowess with a cheap and light cooler.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I used Zalman 7000/9500/9799 NT coolers for quite a while because they (at the time) good for the price. But time moved on and better/cheaper products arrived. My last two coolers were Noctua 12cm jobbies (not the über ridiculous 14cm ones). The areas where Zalman fell down were the fan speed/noise required to compete and the tight fin spacing gathering dust very quickly. At least they have addressed one issue.

I wouldn't worry about the fans too much BBB, I ran a 9700NT and 9500 LED almost continuosuly for over two years without issue.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
At 100$, I expect it to last more than two years. However, even the cheapest fans have a rating of 30,000 POH. That's almost 3.5 years of continuous operation. Those used in that Zalman cooler are rated for 50,000 POH (5.7 years). I wouldn't worry too much.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Many fans fail long before the ratings, probably due to filth.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yeah, from the tales you shared about the state of your computers, maybe you should look for a heatsink with replaceable fans. This one might not be for you.