Newegg crappy drive shipping

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Been discussed before but never happen to me right? Well it happened to me, have a new 300gb raptor here with a broken SATA connector, bent right over. Sorry Newegg but a layer of bubblewrap around several OEM drives in the bottom of a box with packing peanuts on top of it all doesn't work.

Have a couple terabyte Samsung F1's in there too, they appear to be fine but they likely werent right up against the box bottom like the raptor was. Heck they probablly helped kill it with the weight on top of it. Little octogon match on the trip here between companies and the Samsungs teamed up against WD maybe?

Bah; it was a nice to have and not time critical, just annoying.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Hmm when I fill out carrier damage they say they they won't accept an RMA and to call, should I do that or just mark it as defective. In the end I don't feel this is UPS's fault, thoughts?

No RMA's will be accepted for items physically damaged during shipping. For any items received damaged, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-390-1119 for immediate assistance.

ddrueding

Fixture
You don't really know whether it was damaged during shipping or during their crappy packaging. I would still go though Newegg.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Cool, that's what I did. The box was a little banged up but you never see a perfect box come out of UPS.

Attached is the damage, I was nearly ready to instal the drive when I finally caught it. I was thinking that if I had done this myself (the more common method of breaking by yanking the cable down away from the drive during instal) this wouldn't kill the drive, you can always pull these things out of the ice pack. Or even leave it in the pack and remove the rack adapter like they did in the first gen of this drive.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
:D The pakcers pflay futballs with the harde drives in the backroom are then stuf 'em in the boxes forthe FedEX. Good luck.

Last edited:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The last two orders I've placed for HDD's through newegg were REALLY well packaged.

The first was a laptop drive. I figured that the smaller drive size fit better with whatever boxes and packing material combination they had on hand.

However, the second was an order of two 3.5" SATA drives. Drives were in plastic shells, well wrapped in bubble wrap, then fit snug in the box with paper filler (no peanuts).

I guess this last one is a fluke because almost all of the HDD orders through newegg have been closer to the one you described where a shoddy mix of bubble wrap and peanuts leaves one or more sides of the drives exposed to the outside of the shipping box.

I was hoping that Newegg had learned their lesson. Guess not.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Grrr, now having a problem with the whole "Advance" part of the advance replacement. If I don't see tracking info soon (as in left today) I'm not going to be happy. At first they didn't want to do it at all but then they decided it was OK once they saw tracking info on the return. Don't know what the issue is, they have my credit card number.

Hmm, $20 higher higher price at the BBY across the street from me isn't looking too bad now but I will loose a possible $30 in rebates too.

blakerwry: I too have had mixed experience with them. My last couple orders that had three to five drives in it were shipped very well, seashell enclosure in a block of slotted packing material (think OEM shipping foam) in bubble wrap and all that in peanuts and a big box. Think the issue here is there wasn't any other hardware on the order and the WD doesn't ship in a seashell plastic thing.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That is my experience as well, three drives seems to be the cut-off for the slotted-styrofoam treatment.

I've never gotten the styrofoam for anything less than five drives. If you've gotten it for three I think that makes me jealous.

Speaking of crappy packaging: I got an Atheros 5008 mini PCI card today that was in a static back and dropped in a USPS plastic bag type mailer. I am SHOCKED that the card worked, but it did.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Have you ever not received the foam packaging with 5 drives? I am thinking about buying the 1.5TB (WD15EADS) drives. They seem to be the best choice for massive backups at the moment.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Have you ever not received the foam packaging with 5 drives? I am thinking about buying the 1.5TB (WD15EADS) drives. They seem to be the best choice for massive backups at the moment.

I'm sure Merc would try to dissuade you, and get you instead, to consider the 1.5TB Samsung.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Sometimes I don't get foam on smaller drive orders. I try very hard not to order drives until I need a more serious number. I go through 160GB and 250GB drives quickly enough that 10 is not a problem. If necessary, I'll mix and match until I have enough drives to assure decent packaging e.g. 4 160s, 4 250s, 4 HD103UJs.