[NEWS] - AMD posts profit for Q4 2003

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
AMD (NYSE:AMD) today reported sales of $1.206 billion and net income of $43 million for the quarter ended December 28, 2003. Net income amounted to $0.12 per share.

Fourth quarter sales increased by 76 percent from the fourth quarter of 2002 and increased by 26 percent from the third quarter of 2003. In the fourth quarter of 2002, AMD reported sales of $686 million and a net loss of $855 million, or $2.49 per share. In the third quarter of 2003, AMD reported sales of $954 million and a net loss of $31 million, or $0.09 per share.

The fourth quarter results include a favorable impact of $14 million, or $0.03 per share, due to an adjustment to previously recorded restructuring charges and purchase accounting related to the FASL LLC transaction. The third quarter of 2003 results included a favorable impact of $8 million, or $0.02 per share, due to an adjustment to previously recorded restructuring charges.

For the full year ended December 28, 2003, sales increased by 30 percent from 2002. For fiscal 2003, AMD reported sales of $3.5 billion and a net loss of $274 million, or $0.79 per share. AMD reported sales in 2002 of $2.7 billion and a net loss of $1.3 billion, or $3.81 per share.
This is the first time in quite a while that AMD doesn't declare numbers in the red. While a profit announcement for Intel would be quite ordinary, a profit for AMD is news-worthy IMO. If AMD can post profits for several quarters in a row, it might stop being so fragile against arch-rival Intel, which pour colossal profits quarter after quarters.

And a strong AMD (still far away) would mean fierce competition against Intel, all for customers' benefit.

News source

To be fair, I'll add that I've seen it first at The Tech-report, not on AMD's web site.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
AWESOME :excl: :excl: :excl:

While I'll probably be buying a Xeon soon, I'm really glad competition is around, to keep the Xeon's price down...

s