[NEWS] - Apple starts selling new 2.5GHz G5

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The creative class needs superior tools to produce designs, music, high-definition video or the next scientific breakthrough. The new Power Mac G5 line spans as far as you require. Its dual 64-bit G5 processors — with speeds of up to 2.5GHz — room for up to 8GB of main memory, 8X SuperDrive and ultrahigh-bandwidth system architecture will give you more results than systems costing twice as much. Models start at $1999.
Starts at 1999$...for the 1.8GHz model, but if you want the dual 2.5GHz G5, you'll have to let go 2999$ of your hardly-earned money.

Fortunately for Apple, there's always Photoshop to use as a benchmark. Objectively speaking, a G5 offers about the same performances than an Opteron at similar clockspeed, so the new 2.5GHz model, especially for 3000$ for a 2P system, still packs quite a lot of power for the money.

Did I mentioned that it was liquid cooled?

You can find the detailed info on the three flavors of the G5 at Apple's store.

New source

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It's nice to see that I've once again cluttered the forum with a topic that everyone is obviously interested in.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Personally, I'd love to see Apple roll out a box with the real Power5 CPU. But I don't think it could be price-competitive just yet.

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
Too bad mainstream PCs won't have liquid cooling any time soon.

I don't know, Merc. For computer-savvy people like we SF members (well, maybe not me :oops: ), liquid coooling will be great for us to push the limits of the system. But for the average computer user who would not upgrade their systems for yonks, will it create long term problems like leakage over time?

Cheers,
Edward

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Passive liquid, not full on plumbing.

Quiet is the goal. A patch on a FUBARED case thats the size of Atlas, with a PeeWee Herman peepee.

Two drive spaces, in that monster? Absurd, and for the cost, even more so.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Guys have been getting nearly 300 MB/sec using atto UL4D card, and 4 X 15.3s in the new G5's.

Boot under Panther, using Raid 0, seems to be pretty bad.

Driver conflicts, thanks to apple trying to make third party cards not work...or, that's at least what it appears to be.

s

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
Too bad mainstream PCs won't have liquid cooling any time soon.

The same setup was supposed to come out on an Intel P4 this year (was or is supposed to, don't know now after the various cancellations).

I suspect if it DOES show up, it will be one of the upcoming "Extreme Edition" CPUs -- probably a 4.0 GHz model. Anyway, the processor package itself is supposed to have factory built-in interfacing for liquid cooling.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Swifttech has offered full cooling a long time ago. Bit pricy, but I'm sure it works, and, no noise.

s