[NEWS] - Athlon XP won't have PCI Express support

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
AMD HAS CONFIRMED that it will not include support for PCI Express for future Athlon XP processors.

We asked Via whether it would produce chipsets supporting PCI-E for XPs, and it said it has no such product in its roadmaps.

This might leave Athlon XP owners with no hope of future graphics upgrades, but it comes as no surprise. AMD has publicly said it wants to displace its XP chips with 64-bit processors.

This means that if you are an Athlon XP owner and you want to buy a new graphics card after June/July, you will have to change motherboard and processor too.

News source

Submitted by mUbs

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Baloney. ATi just released a new AGP card, and I expect the next generation of cards will still come with AGP models, even if they are bridged. There wil continue to be AGP cards for some years, although they may not be the latest and greatest.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Good thing SiS has had PCI express in their roadmap for some time. Their southbridges should work fine for A64, AthlonXP, and intel chips... but ultimately it's up to motherboard makers to implement SiS's chipsets this way.

VIA of course has plans for PIC-E chipsets, however it may be planning to hold them exclusively for A64 processors.