[NEWS] - Big Hole Found in KaZaA

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
A security researcher recently found a potentially critical vulnerability in the program which drives the FastTrack network. FastTrack is used by peer-to-peer software service including Kazaa and iMesh. Joltid, the maker of FastTrack, initially said the flaw was not serious, but has since done an about-face and plans to plug the loophole.

[...]

According to the original security advisory, published on the Full Disclosure security mailing list, attackers can take control of or crash the FastTrack "supernodes" that file swappers connect to.
I believe KaZaA lite is also affected and I know many of you use it. You might consider switching to other file-swapping tools like eDonkey.

News source.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
The important thing is it is found and measures are taken.

ed2k (and its various other clones) is OK, Coug, but a little bit cumbersome for small size files and fast downloads.
I personally use it only for movies and TV series.

zx

Learning Storage Performance
I've had very bad experiences with eDonkey. It seems that most of my downloads fail. Since I have a bandwith limit with my ISP, I can't afford to fail many downloads.

I use Direct Connect to find most stuff. Downloads are slower (you download from only one computer) but most downloads don't fail. You can stay connected to the same person for days...

Plus, the hubs, who provide the p2p services, are privately owned. So if the company that makes DC dies or gets shut down by lawsuits, all we need is a new client (an unofficial client is already available for Linux) and some way to publish the public hub list.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
How to block the RIAA, Overpeer, etc, in eMule!

Ok, here's how to block the RIAA, MPAA, Overpeer, Mediadefender, and the rest of the baddies scanning the P2P networks, and why to, for all those wondering about it. I'm aiming for this to be sticky if it doesn't come out too bad.

Why should I be blocking these IPs of these people?

Simple; they scan the P2P networks, looking for file sharers sharing certain things, get the IPs, and wind up sending cease and desist letters to ISPs about you sharing copyrighted material(insert RIAA BS here). And may get you in trouble, or soon, even try to shut you down.

Ok, so how do we block them?

A: Well, there's an easy way to block them, right in eMule. Here's how.

1) In eMule, preferably a newer one since they support it, and allow it to be updated without closing the program, go into your preferences, and into the security tab.

2) Hit edit. When it asks if you want to create a new file, do so. It should open something called IPfilter.dat in notepad.

3) There are two main blocklist sites that are updated a lot, that don't just find IPs, and put them together without updating them for months. One for eMule, and the official PeerGuardian one. So let's get them.

Goto http://cvs.suche.org/horde/chora/cvs.php/ip.prefix for the first one. The one on the top, currently 1.36, is the newest one. Go to the right, there should be three links, annotate, view, and download. Hit view on the latest one.

You should now see a list of IPs. Copy and paste them all into the IPfilter.dat file.

Now, we're not done yet. There's the peerguardian one. Yet this isn't in the format that eMule accepts, so you use a site to convert it. The official peerguaridan one is updated way more rapidly, and can be found at http://www.simplyclick.org/uploadertest/pg2_plaintext.asp

So, copy all those IPs. Then, goto this site: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/convert.html . Now, paste them into the box on the left. In the first box, convert from format, select peerguardian plain text. For convert to format, select eDonkey(eMule, cDonkey). Leave the rest the same, then hit convert. If your browser is working fine, you should see, after it's done, stuff in the box to the right. Copy and paste the stuff in the right box, into the IPfilter.dat file, under the rest of the stuff from before.

So now, you've got the eMule and PeerGuardian blocklists in eMule. Now, save, the IPfilter.dat file in notepad, and quit notepad. In the security tab in eMule's preferences, hit reload, then OK to get out of them.

http://forum.sharereactor.com/viewtopic.php?t=141520

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Anybody have any dirt on WinMX? I have been using WinMX for 2.5 years now with varying degrees of success. It seems that since a version change about a year ago, one could not establish a connection to three-quarters of the users on the searched list. The number of users that one is able to connect to has slowly increased to the point where WinMX has become usable once again.